Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobK

SLC 5/03 communication

5 posts in this topic

I keep getting a message that reads: Failed to find the baud and parity, when I try and communicate with our SLC 5/03's, I have tried with a serial port cable and also with a 1747-UIC cable, Now I can get on all our micrologix 1200's at anytime. I believe I have configured it right thru RSLinx, and I installed driver for the 1747-UIC, any suggestions of what I am doing wrong ?

Your SLC5/03 has two ports, serial and DH485. The serial port can be configured for DF1, DH485 and ASCII protocol.

The DH485 port (the RJ45 port is of course DH485 protocol.

If the serial port is configured for DF1 protocol then a PC with a real serial port needs a RS232 null-modem cable to get connected using the RS232 DF1 driver in RSLinx.

If the serial port is configured for DH485 then the 1747_PIC driver (in RSLinx) and a null-modem cable would work. You would have to have a real serial port for this driver.

If you don't have a real serial port a USB to serial adapter will work, with a null-modem cable for a port configured for DF1 protocol.

Your 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter it will only work with the serial port on your PLC if the port on the PLC is configured for DH485 and a null-modem cable. (the DF1 driver or the UIC driver in RSLinx).

The 1747-UIC will work with the DH485 port on the PLC (it's RJ45 port) with the proper cable 1747-C13 I believe.

Tell us more about what cables you have and what port you are trying to connect to.

Edited by Mickey

Thanks for responding so quick Mickey, I was trying to use just a serial port cable and a 9 pin to 9 pin coupler to plug into the RS232 port on PLC, The 1747-UIC I am also trying to use is all in one, one cable out of top (USB (DF1) ) and out the bottom is one cable that splits into two ( RS485/RS232 (DH485) ) but sometimes unplugging it will cause my PC to shut down unexpectedly also SLC 5/03's DH485 is blinking green and the RS232 is off

Do you know how the PLC's serial port is configured?

You can look at it's offline program to find out. Or post it here and someone can help.

Does your PC have a real serial port? Or are you using a USB to serial adapter?

The 1747-UIC will only work with a port configured for DH485.

Older Post, Future Reference Info, I Believe When Using The 1747-PIC On PC Com Port, Rockwell Will Replace Microsoft Driver With There's, Making The

Port Dedicated To The PIC Only, Would Have To Uninstall Rockwells Driver & Install MS-Com Port Driver To Use Com-Port For DF1/RS232 Again.

Still Have a PIC Myself, Why?, Like Using The SLC w/1761-NET-AIC+ These Days.

SLC503_RS232.jpg

Edited by RET-USMC
Update 1747-PIC PC ComPort Info