cityjack

Allen Bradley training

10 posts in this topic

Evening everyone,

New here and to PLC's in general along with a first time post, so I hope this is the correct place for this training question.

The last year and a half at work I have transitioned from new product development to machine acquisition, factory acceptance and site acceptance testing.  I've done a well enough job in my new position in order for the company to offer up any automation/PLC programming training I want to take.  We use exclusively Allen Bradley controllers.  I am looking for a place to start for someone who knows little to nothing about programming and or installing an automated system.  Whether it be something from Rockwell or another third party teacher.  Books or online training.  I am sorry if this is vague and I have not given you all enough information.  I am truly new to this but I have been given the opportunity to learn and they are willing to pay for it.  I love dealing with this type of equipment and given the time and training I know I can be of value to this company.

Anything you all can recommend or maybe point me in the correct direction would be greatly appreciated.  thank you all for your time and help.

Sid

If you are exclusively Rockwell/A-B, then the Rockwell/A-B training schedule is for you...

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/training-events/overview.page

There are a plethora of classes available.  The class selections should be a function of the product lines your group integrates.  Questions to ask your employer...CompactLogix or ControlLogix, FTView ME (HMI) or FTViewSE (PC-based), any servo platforms, any AC VFD platforms, any DC VFD platforms.

The very important key to A-B classes is their labs and lab manuals.  You will walk away with a lab manual and the training to have done step-by-step a or many exercises that hopefully you will perform in your integration/startup duties. 

Are you looking to program or to maintain PLC equipment.  I'm not trying to bash Rockwell's classes, but I know more people who have left them feeling more frustrated than equipped.

As far as maintaining your existing control systems you can't beat ronbeaufort.com.  Also I could argue is is a great way to get started into PLC programming but it is not the intention of his classes.  

In any case it would be good to identify the particular models of controllers than you already have to help narrow the focus of what type of training/trainers would help you further your skills.

Here are some free articles we have that may help you as well.  http://www.theautomationstore.com/articles/

And here is a new lesson series we are working on. http://www.theautomationstore.com/lessons/

I would add that if your plan is to use Control Logix the "structure" of the program is wide open. With the SLC you are constrained by the address structure and you are constrained to ladder logic only. It's important to know which device you are going to use

Good morning,

Thank you very much for the replies.  MY taste would be definitely more towards the programming side, but it'll be mainly maintaining and troubleshooting existing logic and installations here at work.  But I see that our ICT engineers here, both of them programming capable ( both retiring in the next 2 - 3 ) do their own maintenance as well.  Our equipment integrators make and assemble the equipment to our spec.  They then provide a turnkey system to us with instruction.  After a successful SAT(site acceptance test), we then own it and are responsible for it.  Control logix and Compact logix primarily.  All tag based controllers.  Although the ICT guys have set me up with a RST Micro logix trainer that is NOT tag based.  Yes, there are plenty of VFD's in our cabinets, AC and DC both.  Servos as well.  HMI's on all of our new equipment.  Panel view to program those I think.

I just spoke with Mr. Beaufort In Charleston, not too far from me either.  Nice man.  I will have an additional conversation with him this afternoon.  I hope this is enough information to help you help me.

Thank you guys so much for your guidance.

Sid

PS. Mr. Sorcerer, The "Big Lick" huh?  I lived up in Floyd county, actually Willis for 11 years.  My children live up in the NRV, C'burg and B'burg.  My son works over on Peters Creek at Starcity powersports.  Thanks for your help

Hello guys,

It'll be Control logix.  I am in the process of signing up for Mr. Beauforts Control logix course.  I am completely new to this, but it seems his class will be just what I need.

Thanks all.

Sid

Good morning all,

I have been having conversations with Mr. Ron Beaufort and getting into his training this year.  It may or may not happen given how much money is left in the budget for this year.  Unfortunately, Mr. Beaufort is talking about retiring.  If in fact he leaves to go fishing for a long time, is there another training curriculum similar to his and as good possibly?  Controllogix is the desired platform.

Thanks guys

Sid

Nope, Ron has a very unique training method that works very well for understanding a PLC.  I would get in while you can.

If you would like some extra training resources check out www.ladiesandtech.com for beginner PLC training for Free

Edited by ladiesandtech

You are welcome to check out our training site if you cant get away and need something online - Link is in my signature.  We have plenty of sample videos and course outlines on the site.  I agree with TW on the manufacturer training.  They lead you by the hand from a book.  The instructors are usually knowledgeable, but the 4 day cram tends to evaporate as soon as you leave the class.  Trying to buy a book on PLCs is usually fruitless.  They are usually based on a generic PLC which I would challenge anyone here to try and find a generic PLC.  The training we setup on plcmentor was designed to teach platform specific information over time.  It requires completing programs in the actual programming software and we have instructors that review the students programs.  We also have a weekly web class available that you can attend for question and answer sessions.  I have had several students attend the class in situations like yours to review their project progress and get pointers on how to move forward and to find out what might be done differently.  That all said, I really like Ron.  I have all his youtube videos on my site (with his permission) and have spent enough time talking with him on the phone to really appreciate his passion and hard work he incorporates into each class.  I thought he had already retired, but if you have a chance to get in I think it would be a great experience.  If you need help along the way maybe our web class platform would be useful also.  Good luck!