jim23

SCADA

7 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

Please see attached file for reference. we have been experiencing this since during plant commissioning. We are using AB PLC, RSLogix 5000. Does anyone here experience the same and how do you fix the problem. 

Thank you for the help in advance.

Jim

SCADA.docx

There could be a multitude of reasons for what appears to be loss of communications...hardware (PLC network comms module, SCADA PC network comms module) or software (SCADA settings, PLC settings).

To find the root-cause, start using the internal tools.  Go online with the PLC and pull up the fault history.  Do you have administrative privileges on the SCADA PC to go into the SCADA administration console?  Is this an A-B FTView SE SCADA node, or is it a different SCADA package?  This problem did not exist until the machine was connected to the customer's network (hint-hint)?

WireShark is an excellent, free tool that is a superb IP sniffer.  Many internet resources guiding you through using and learning WireShark to find out where IP packets are coming from or that they are not going anywhere.

You're not giving us any info that is helpful. A screen shot of comm failure isn't helpful. I can grab one of those just about any day of the week.

Could be the comm driver, but not likely. Which comm driver does the system use?

What is the network? Serial (I hope not.) Ethernet? Token ring (not likely but every now and then one of those comes up)

Client / Server? or does the HMI "talk" directly to the PLC?

What is the comm media? radio (I hope not) hardwired ethernet (copper)? hardwired ethernet (fiber)? Token ring? Can you ping the PLC from the server? Could be a bad ethernet cable termination or bad fiber termination if you have fiber.

Is the HMI comm card dedicated to the HMI or is there something else on that network (hint: don't do that). 

Sometimes the comm driver has issues. Sometimes the server has issues. Sometimes there are "cloud" problems related to the IT guys screwing up (which they don't admit to). Sometimes the router (local or at the server end) just stops talking. Sometimes the VSAT hub is down. Sometimes the local node is down (ethernet cable is bad, industrial ethernet switch port went bad, power failure, etc).

Wireshark can be useful if it's an ethernet topology. If it's serial (unlikely, I hope) then Wireshark won't help.

Edited by Michael Lloyd
1 person likes this

Hi

I have the same problem the Scada system give errors .. there is 3 winches ... each one controlled by plc through a fiber optics cable and serial to ethernet converter

Details, details, details.  There are many, many SCADA systems on the market.  Lack of background details provides little direction to uncover root-cause of failure.

First and foremost with PC-based SCADA systems:  (1) Are you 100% sure your SCADA PC is functioning properly; (2) Are you 100% sure your NETWORK is not bogging down your SCADA PC; (3) What has changed recently?

SCADA systems are tried and true...once they are setup, they just work.  If they don't, it is rarely the software.  PC hardware problems, network changes, or someone getting in and doing something they do not know anything about.

1 person likes this

I have found that the default communication time slice in the ControlLogix processors is not sufficient for larger SCADA projects.  You can look at your current task speeds and see if you have room to increase the processors communications period.  If you decide to increase it, then recheck your tasks to make sure they still have enough time to run smoothly. 

Helloo Mr. Kaiser_will and thanx for replay

The problem happened when someone changed the Ethernet sockets on the switch .The Ethernet module program ( Network Enable Administrator ) helped me to know the Ethernet Modules IP but the error still exist . I think I should configure the PLC with  Ethernet module by Gx Developer ... but I don't know how !!

Untitled.pdf