plcdp

Power consumption

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a system that I am building that the input power is totaling 24 amps @ 110VAC. The drops we have are 20 amp drops. Is there a way around this or do I need to go to a higher voltage supply?

Thank you,

Dave

What do you mean by 'drops we have are 20 amp drops'?

Is a drop a circuit you need to use to power/test this system?

If so, you can probably have the circuit breaker panel re-wired with a 30A single pole breaker for 115V servicen that is capable of supplying 24A.  The external circuit wiring has to be capable of carrying 30A.

It isn't that different from the mix of circuits in any load center.  For instance, my house has 200 amp service, split between numerous 15 and 20 Amp circuits (115V) with each with a single pole breaker and several 30A double pole breakers for 240V appliances, dryer, well pump, electric oven.

30A single pole breakers are carried at building supply places:

30_A_single_pole_breaker_115_Vac.jpg

you need to go to higher current supply, 30Amp is not that strange in industrial environment. you can also use higher voltage with step down transformer.

And don't forget you can't just swap out the breaker.  Larger wire sizes are needed to carry 30 amps.

1 person likes this

Thank you all for the replies. I have the electrician coming in this morning to make sure everything is ok. I appreciate the help.

Regards,

Dave