Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
machinebuilder

Flex IO

7 posts in this topic

Using AB Boot/DHCP Servo 2.3 trying to address a 1794-AENT Flex IO. The instructions do not say much.

I do not see the one of the FLEX IO. It is F454339563F9. That is what is written on the Address Tag of the Flex IO. I do not see that on the screen. I put the switches on the IO to 004. the instructions say it should be at 192.168.000.xxx. I have my notebook set to 192.168.0.16     255.255.255.0   I added a relation with that mac address but it says it timed out. How do I connect to the Flex IO?

Module status light is steady green

network status light is blinking green

link status is steady green.

is the network status blinking cause it is not connected to a piece of equipment, just my notebook?

There are (2) ways you can address Flex I/O adapters...BootP or configure the last octet (and use 192.168.1.xxx for the overall Ethernet/IP address).  Sometimes BootP can booger-up the IP configuration.

I would suggest first sniffing out what its IP address is.  Download and install WireShark (free Ethernet sniffer utility).  Plug your laptop into just the Flex I/O rack, disable  your wireless port (so that only the single Ethernet port is enabled), and run WireShark.  Eventually you should see an entry with an odd IP address.  You can grab screenshots and post them here.

The network status light should blink green when it is configured and trying to link with a controller.  Once you are networked with a controller that is configured with this rack, network status should go solid green.

Once you have a good idea of the IP address, you can pull up a command prompt and PING that address; disconnect the Flex adapter, ping and it should not come back.  Bingo.

These work instructions should be of use for this task.

Work_Instruction_-_Allen-Bradley_1734_Point_I-O_Ethernet_Setup[1].doc

Work Instruction - Allen-Bradley 1794-AENT Flex I-O Startup.doc

Edited by kaiser_will

Thanks for the info. I found the address to be 192.168.1.4.  I have the thumbwheels set to 004. I want to change the IP address to 192.168.0.4.

I will read through the links you posted to see how that is done.

the ping is okay. RS Linx will not allow me to change the address, After the warning of changing the IP address, it comes up communication error.

I have such a hard time with Allen Bradley products. it sucks.

For RSLinx to communicate with Ethernet/IP devices, there are (2) "driver" configuration choices within RSLinx (Ethernet and Ethernet/IP).  One option (Ethernet/IP) will sniff out all Ethernet/IP devices that the computer can communicate with; the other option (Ethernet) requires the user to enter the IP address of every device.  When you make a change to the Ethernet network, you may have to delete the "driver" instance and re-add.

I tried that. I choose Ethernet devices and Ethernet IP. Tried both. When  I right click on the Flex IO from the tree, it shows the present address at 192.168.1.4. I change it to 192.168.0.4 and then hit apply. It warns changing the IP address. I say okay then it pops up unexpected communication error and does not say why. It does say, "The following requests failed to be proceeded:

Interface Attributes (IP, Network Mask or Gateway).

wow i got it. I had to reset using 888. Reboot. Set notebook to Obtain IP, not static. The using the RS boot server that comes with RSlogix 500, click on the MAC of the Flex IO. Put in the address I want and send it. It shows it went to the mac address okay. The software would not allow me to disable the DHCP server in the Flex.

Not sure how I thought of it but I changed the software settings from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.254.0. then the software allowed me to disable the DHCP in the Flex. None of this stuff is in the manual as far as setting the 255.255.255.0. My PLC rep could not get it going and he is the software/hardware expert.

So now the lights on the Flex are green and I can ping the flex. Now to connect it to the robot controller. that should be fun.