5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am currently working on programming my first sortation system.  Attached is a blue print of the in feed conveyors and their loadout lines.  As boxes merge together they will be scanned by the barcode scanner.  From there we will be told which lane each box must go down, from the WCS.

My question is, without encoders, what would be the best way to control this system? Counting the packages as they pass through the photoeye? Or setting timers?

Thanks,

James

Sorting Conveyor Layout.pdf

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but you want to know how to stack the different boxes and their corresponding lane it should go down? In other words, store multiple information regarding a specific barcode to route the boxes correctly later on?

The boxes come into the "Main-lane" from Lane1/2/3/4 and then goes to the JackpotLane and then further to some routing facility?

Please specify a bit more, as I might not have understood your question.

The packages will actually merge together at the bottom of the page. Then after they merge they will be scanned and told which palletizing line they need to go to... 1,2,3, or 4. The jackpot line is for packages that could not get read.

I'm trying to get some tips from an experienced programmer, on how this is most efficiently handled.

I attached another image with arrows showing direction of flow.

Thanks.

Sorting Conveyor Layout (1).pdf

IF the linear surface speed [fpm] of the conveyors in your system are all constant AND do not fluctuate with load AND products do not slip once loaded you could use a timed interrupt to track products in your system.

Use a shift register instruction [bit based OR word based] that is continually incremented by the timed interrupt. i.e. IF the surface speed of the conveyor was 100 fpm and you require position accuracy of 1" then a timed interrupt of 50mSec would be required for this resolution.

As a products enters the system a sensor "sees" enters it into the shift register.

Each unload point can be defined using an offset from the start point of the shift register.

We have used this method fairly successfully in past projects, but for LONG conveyor runs additional photeyes were required along the conveyors to confirm product position.

If products did not arrive at these photoeye when expected this was corrected by re-positioning them in the shift register.

My 2 cents.

2 people like this

Thank you BITS N BYTES.

This is a very clever idea. I am going to try and use this technique in my program!