ngowans

Ethernet Conntections to Motoman and Cognex with Omron NJ

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am working on a project that requires connecting an EtherCAT network and an Ethernet/IP network to the built in ports of the NJ controller. I have been able to setup the EtherCAT network in Sysmac Studio, but I am struggling with the Ethernet /IP setup in Sysmac Studio. For the Ethernet network I have to setup the Motoman DX200 and a Cognex In-Sight 7000, as well a NA HMI which I was able to figure out and have it setup in Sysmac Studio. I have the EDS files for both Motoman and Cognex and the are installed in Sysmac Studio. I am a confused about what to put in the target variable and the originator variable, as well how can I connect these to my Global variables?

Sysmac Ethernet Setup.png

1 person likes this

Create Variables in you global variable table that are the same size as the input and output assemblies for your device like this:

REREREREREREdcHyOiIiIiIiIiIicjsGnYiIiIiI

Make sure to set the Network Publish field appropriately.  I just made simple arrays of bytes to the proper size, this would more likely be  a structure that matched the format of your assemblies.

Next, create your input and output tag sets for the NJ as shown below in the EtherNet/IP settings:

JrHYFI2w5UcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

PsP1a5egvFGAHTAwAAD6U6lbVvz5tQAAAABJRU5E

You have to create the tag set first (right click in window) and then create the tag (right click).  Your tag will show when you start typing.

Then go to the connections tab and make the connection:

KsyZMhFR+wwCjB58mty9pUGDjxHjRs30po132jz5

If you do not know the assembly number (target variable), just select the field and type a 1 in the field, it will show you a pulldown of your options.  When you choose an assembly, it will show you the assembly size.  You can use this when creating your variables (above).  Of course, you will need a manual for the device to see what the 56 and 16 bytes mean respectively.

I was able to get everything setup in the Ethernet configured, but the structure I created to match which BOOLs and Bytes I am using and it doesn't match the size properly. I looked into why and saw that BOOLs take 2 bytes of space which is causing most of my problems, is there anyway to change it so the structure with bytes, words, and bools to reflect exactly the size that I need? For the Motoman and I have 33 bytes mapped and will require that the the bytes be addressable down to bit level and be able to put appropriate descriptions. 

ngowans,

If you can post an image of what the assembly looks like, perhaps we can make a suggestion for your variable so that it is the correct size.

Thanks.

I was able to setup the union with the correct number of bytes in an array as well an array with bits and words. I have setup the Ethernet adapter in the robot as shown in the pictures and setup in Sysmac Studio also shown in the pictures. I am using the built-in Ethernet port on the NJ controller and it is setup to the IP address as 192.168.250.1, and I added the built in port to the FINS Settings. I am still getting an error(shown below) on the connection status (verification error), when I monitor the devices. Is there something that I missed that could resolve this issue?

robotunion.PNG

IMG_20160707_191517.jpg

IMG_20160707_191551.jpg

ethernetsetup.PNG

finssetup.PNG

errorid.PNG

status.PNG

Your union does not look good:

robotunion.PNG

0..32 bytes  = 33 bytes.

0..15 words = 32 bytes

0..255 BOOL = 32 bytes

I do see in my testing that it does indeed say this is 34 bytes when you bring it into the Tagset.  This is due to the fact that it cannot use an odd number of bytes, so it rounds it up to 34.  This may be your issue though.  Try 0..33 Bytes, 0..16 Words and 0..271 bits

It is more likely that you will need a structure.  If you can post a picture of the assembly details (that is what each of the 34 bytes means), perhaps we can help further.

I had a structure before, but the size wouldn't match because BOOLs kept taking up space of 2 bytes. The way it is mapped in the robot is in byte format, see the PDF for reference. 

DX-200 IO Drawing Set.pdf

Try using the User Offset type.  You can specify the Offset Byte and Offset Bit for each bit.  I have illustrated two bytes of your inputs below (note that the unused bits can simply be skipped):

fr1qipRERERERERJUPAwqF8BdQWPrBh2oqERERER

XqC8bo+AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

As you can see, for this example, the size is 2 bytes:

MLAmIiIiIiIi8gMDayIiIiIiIiKfAf8PJS5cT8xk

2 people like this