Jrichlogix

understanding data tables in RS500

6 posts in this topic

This may be an easy question for a lot of people.  I use the 500 software but use the 5k more.  When looking at some of the data tables in 500 I see that it appears that a word is assigned to either an entire int. (B3:0  or B3:1)  I have seen a few different types as well.  I know you can assign or write to an entire Int but want to know the purpose of this.  Sorry if my question is not described very well as I’m having a hard time use the proper words to describe it.  I will paste a picture of it.   Thanks for any info on this or direction as to where to find it.

Data table 1.JPG

Consider the 'B' data table an array of INTs. The 'INTs' are accessible by B3:x   The bits within the INTs are accessible by B3:x/y

The table can also be set to show the address as an array of bits accessible by B3/y with the numbering continuing to increase from one INT to the next.

This view can be set in 'View' - 'Properties' - 'Address Display (tab)' - 'Binary Bit Display Mode'

In like manner Integer (N registers) can be addressed as bits by N7:x/y

(The '3' for bits and '7' for integers could be other numbers if additional data tables are set up.)

Edited by b_carlton

So I think this is starting to make scene.  So I don't actual make that show in the data table but if I copy something into like say the entire B3:0 then it acts as an array for all 16 bits?

Play with the 'Radix' control in the lower right to view the data differently.

In this 'Data Usage' display the 'X' are noting bits addressed as individual bit in the logic. The 'F' on the left hand side notes that these words are used in in a 'File' type command like a COPY.

The 'Help' button provides a lot of information.

Edited by b_carlton

Thanks for all your help I appreciate it.  I made some copy instructions and got the F on the left to show up.