Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest michal kubina

plc 5 ethernet sidecar problems

3 posts in this topic

I have a problem with half the plcs I am currently debugging the plant monitoring software for. I am sending out status and cycle data over ethernet to a central plant computer. Half the setups work, half dont. even on identical machines. the ones that dont work are not sending messages properly over ethernet. The error message I get is 'illegal command from local processor'. all seems to be se up identically. 5 out of 8 machines dont work. anyone there very experienced with allen bradley plc5 ethernet?

First, this post sholud be moved to A-B forum. PLC5 sidecar required certain revisions of PLC5 firmware, see KB article: G14998 - How to order Firmware Updates for NP5 PLC's to support the 1785-ENET Sidecar Module Also there is a minimum FW revision to be used with CIP messages: G18562 - Series / revision levels required for CIP (multihop) support E4024 - Ethernet MultiHop is not available for this processor type Edited by PLC_Cables

Are the PLC 5's ControlNet? If so, and your sidecar modules are manufactured by SST (Woodhead), you might be in trouble. I was doing a start-up in S. Korea and couldn't get my sidecars to work. Only then did SST inform me "...Oh, they're ControlNet 5's? We don't think they will work with those."