Mark Rauscher

Distributed scada installation with remote access?

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a a few substations and I´d like to have a local SCADA in each of them. What is the best scada to use with reasonable price?

Does anyone know if there is a solution without the need to have a PC for each substation?

Thanx

Hello Mark,

You gave just a little information about your project but I can tell you my opinion and experience with similar project.

I have a power solar plant with almost 100 inverters. This plant has some time and money costs (travel costs, costs because of failures – partial or complete due to overvoltage and so on …)  I was looking for scada that will tell me if anything happens. A lot of scada systems available on the market but I want  scada without pc or server needed…My friend recommended me myscada box (works very well) – no pc needed,  works nicely over two years. http://myscadatechnologies.com/mybox/ Hopefully it will help…

I have to agree with @oli_fa, I start with mobile app from them and now I use myscada (esp. alarming) in the production plant. Very affordable price (designer is for free), no additional fees - which is quite useful :) Thumbs up for those guys!

The burden being placed on municipal utilities continues to increase. Customers demand quick problem identification and resolution. Regulatory organizations have strict compliance requirements and an unprecedented ability to levy fines. Reporting requirements have increased, all in an environment of tight budgets and limited personnel. The media also is eager to sensationalize security incidents or weaknesses in public and natural resources. Traditional SCADA systems, with their expensive architecture and manpower intensity, fall short of current needs. A fresh contemporary approach is needed. In many distributed utilities, the applications are small, the site is remote, and the costs for both the SCADA software and the communications infrastructure are high. But imagine if there were a robust remote controller with built in SCADA able to utilize existing public network infrastructure that was easy to configure and install. This would also include advanced security detection and alarm reporting providing information when and where you need it. Sound too good to be true, it is available today.

This paper outlines a new approach, “Distributed SCADA” that matches contemporary needs and requirements using open and proven IP technology while completely eliminating many of the existing concerns and costs associated with small- to medium-sized municipal and utility applications. At the conclusion of this document a case study is provided comparing a traditional wastewater system to a new Distributed SCADA solution approach. The New Architecture Despite the broad choice of solutions for remotely controlled equipment and centralized monitoring systems, it is no longer necessary to use traditional and discrete devices such as a PLC, modem/dialer, data logger or SCADA PC and then experience the agonies of integration. Imagine a new industrial solution whose simplicity rivals your cell phone/PDA — with all of the features included in one device and with one easy-to-use interface. This is the new, cost-effective all-in-one, intelligent Telecontroller.

Supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) is a control systemarchitecture that uses computers, networked data communications and graphical user interfaces for high-level process supervisory management, but uses other peripheral devices such as programmable logic controller(PLC) and discrete PID controllers to interface with the process plant or machinery. The operator interfaces that enable monitoring and the issuing of process commands, such as controller set point changes, are handled through the SCADA computer system. However, the real-time control logic or controller calculations are performed by networked modules that connect to the field sensors and actuators.

The SCADA concept was developed as a universal means of remote access to a variety of local control modules, which could be from different manufacturers allowing access through standard automation protocols. In practice, large SCADA systems have grown to become very similar to distributed control systems in function, but using multiple means of interfacing with the plant. They can control large-scale processes that can include multiple sites, and work over large distances as well as small distance.It is one of the most commonly-used types of industrial control systems, however there are concerns about SCADA systems being vulnerable to cyberwarfare/cyberterrorism attacks.