mkoop

Adding I/O to existing FX3U

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have done a small work with Mitsubishi PLC's but have never setup one from scratch.

I need to add more I/O to an existing Mitsubishu FX3U-64M

Some basic info I need first is:

How are the addresses & cards assigned? Do i add these cards on GX Developer IEC or use different software. I have the PLC code but nothing else.

How do I find out the I/O limit.

The existing setup is:

FX3u-4DA-ADP

FX3u-4DA-ADP

FX3u-4DA-ADP

FX3u-4DA-ADP

FX3U-64M

FX3U-ENET

FX2N-16EX

FX2N-16EX

FX2N-16EX

FX2N-16EX

FX2N-8AD

FX2N-CNV-BC

FX2N-8AD

FX2N-8AD

Thanks in advance!

When the card is plugged into the bus you then need to check the XY assignment. The start I/O No. of the card needs to match up with place the card is on the bus.

The XY assignment is divided into channels of 16bits e.g. 10 is channel 1 (x10~x1f), 20 is ch2 (x20~2f) etc. Some modules take 2 channels, some 1.

Check the XY assignment in PC Parameters or just count to what channel card is on. That will tell you where the new Xs and Ys are. For a standard I/O card you can then just start using them in the program.

You can check the I/O limit by looking the memory assignment in PLC parameters or going to Global Device Comments and seeing how long the table is for X and Y labels. Maybe around 8000 points on an FX3.

Another thing to watch out for is that you don't exceed the power rating that the PLC has for the bus. Google the "FX3U Users Manual (Hardware)" and have a good read through that.

I think you are way over the power output of the bus.

With existing configuration you can not add modules anymore, because you already have them eight at right side, and as Crossbow has said, the internal power source is under limit. The single way to increase a I/O's quantity is to replace DI modules with combined, like FX2N-48ER, that has an own internal power supply. Then you can add some DI or DO, but a total qty of I/Os should not exceed of 256, including I/Os of intelligent FX2N-8AD modules.

There is a free tool software on the Mitsubishi website that will help you with configuration of the FX PLC. It will give you the power draw and even addressing for added modules for the adapter side (right) of the CPU.

Click on the following and then click on the FX Selection on the first center tile (bottom right of the description):

https://us.mitsubishielectric.com/fa/en/products/controllers/programmable-controllers-melsec/melsec_f-series

What it does not provide is addressing for ADP modules. But for those the following convention applies:

First ADP module is to the left of CPU:

·      1st uses M8260-M8269 and D8260-D8269

·      2nd uses M8270-M8279 and D8270-D8279

·      3rd uses M8280-M8289 and D8280-D8289 (FX3U/FX3UC only)

·      4th uses M8290-M8299 and D8290-D8299 (FX3U/FX3UC only)

I suggest you read the module's manuals to see what these addresses represent, each module has distinct addresses.

1 person likes this

Great link Akahige. Wish I'd known about this when I first started using Mitsubishi. Would've saved me a lot of reading!

Mitsubishi has those tools on all of their website, not just the US one.  Check the Japanese page as well Luke.

They also have them for Q Series, L Series, and R Series.  And for the GOT for selecting cables.

On 4/9/2016 at 6:21 AM, Luke.S said:

When the card is plugged into the bus you then need to check the XY assignment. The start I/O No. of the card needs to match up with place the card is on the bus.

The XY assignment is divided into channels of 16bits e.g. 10 is channel 1 (x10~x1f), 20 is ch2 (x20~2f) etc. Some modules take 2 channels, some 1.

Check the XY assignment in PC Parameters or just count to what channel card is on. That will tell you where the new Xs and Ys are. For a standard I/O card you can then just start using them in the program.

You can check the I/O limit by looking the memory assignment in PLC parameters or going to Global Device Comments and seeing how long the table is for X and Y labels. Maybe around 8000 points on an FX3.

Another thing to watch out for is that you don't exceed the power rating that the PLC has for the bus. Google the "FX3U Users Manual (Hardware)" and have a good read through that.

Thanks for your input guys.

I have checked my code and my Xs start at 0 and finish at 157.

Ys start at 0 and finish at 37.

Would I be correct in saying that my Xs should only go to 137?

24 minutes ago, mkoop said:

Would I be correct in saying that my Xs should only go to 137?

No

On 11.04.2016 at 11:26 PM, Inntele said:

you can add some DI or DO, but a total qty of I/Os should not exceed of 256, including I/Os of intelligent FX2N-8AD modules.

With existing configuration a total quantity of used I/O points is 64 (FX3U-64MR) + 4*16 (FX2N-16EX) + 3*8 (FX2N-8AD) + 8 (FX3U-ENET) = 160 points

Thus you could add else up to 96 I/Os. However:

On 11.04.2016 at 11:26 PM, Inntele said:

With existing configuration you can not add modules anymore, because you already have them eight at right side, and as Crossbow has said, the internal power source is under limit. The single way to increase an I/O's quantity is to replace DI modules with combined, like FX2N-48ER, that has an own internal power supply.

If you'd replace two FX2N-16EX with two FX2N-48ER, then you can get + 16 Digital Inputs & + 48 Digital Outputs.

If you replace three FX2N-16EX with three FX2N-48ER, then you can get + 24 Digital Inputs & + 72 Digital Outputs.

Edited by Inntele