Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oreo2996

Red Lion HMI and Toshiba PLC Help

2 posts in this topic

I've got a Red Lion G304K200 HMI connected to a Toshiba T2N PLC, and I am attempting to display a pressure value, which has the address of XW000 D0100 in the PLC's ladder logic.

Using Red Lion's programming software, Crimson 3.0, this sort of thing is done using a data tag. In the creation of a data tag, I am faced with a number of different settings to choose from, and I am not familiar with any of them. The settings I have tried thus far have failed at displaying the correct value. Perhaps somebody here will be able to advise me on what settings to use to successfully display the pressure value.

For those unfamiliar with creating data tags in crimson, here is a breakdown of the settings it gives me, listed as numbered "variables", as I planned on getting past this issue via trial and error, but with the current number of variables it would take forever to find the correct combination. If you are able to help with any of the variables it would be extremely helpful, as if I know the correct value of at least one of them it will make things a lot easier.

The first 3 are all under the "Data Source" > "Source" menu in crimson.

1. "Data Item":
D - Data Registers
F - File Registers
XW - Input Words
YW - Output Words
RW - RW Registers
T - Timers
C - Counters

2. "Element" which is just 4 numbers that I can fill in. I assume that if I pick D as my data item then I would use 0100 as the element, to make D0100, and if I pick XW as my data item then I would use 000 as the element, to make XW000, but again, I'm not sure.

3. "Data Type":
Word as Word
Word as Real
Long as Long
Real as Real

#4 through to #7 are under the "Data Source" menu.

4. "Extent"
One Item
Array

5. "Manipulation"
None
Invert Bits
Reverse Bits
Reverse Bytes
Reverse Words
BCD to Binary

6. "Treat As"
Signed Integer
Floating Point
Unsigned Integer

7. "Access"
Read and Write
Write Only
Read Only

#8 is under the "Format" > "Format Type" menu.

8. "Format Type"
General
Linked
Numeric
Scientific
Time and Date
IP Address
Two-State
Multi-State

Please let me know if there are any of the variables you can advise me on.

Thank you.

I am only familiar with Crimson 3.0 on a G07 HMI.  The only options for new tags I have area Numeric, Flag, String, Basic.  Completely different from your options.  I have been programming A-B and others for ~ 18 years and have found the Red Lion to be less than straightforward.  Until you learn the basics, then it starts to make sense.

Moving on, the Toshiba addressing for this tag appears to be...XW000 (Input Word 000), D0100 (Bit 2).  My suggestion...1 Data Register 000, 2 0100, 3 Word as Word, 4 One Item, 5 None, 6 Unsigned Integer, 7 Read Only (HMI reading PLC inputs...read only), 8 Two-State (you are picking off a binary bit of a word).

Have you tried contacting Red Lion customer support?  They have been very accessible for myself, except you have to start a trouble ticket by sending an email to their support inbox and waiting for a reply.  But, they have been very helpful.

http://www.redlion.net/support/contact-support

I would suggest contacting Red Lion support whilst you experiment.  Create an HMI tag linked to a PLC address that you can manipulate, toggle, a binary tag.  If it does not work, display showing a tag you are changing in PLC, then create alternative display tags with multiple versions until you get it to work.  There are not that many options...you can get this working in a few hours.