Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
metallian443

LOSING MY MIND

7 posts in this topic

OK. I know I am a greenhorn when it comes to programming but this is ridiculous. I cannot, for the life of me, get this set-up to work. I have written logic to monitor the M files and can see changes taking place but the drive will not run! I have all of the AB publications to guide me but they are no help. I've had enough. Guess I'll have to save my pennies and pay for the training myself at AB. The rotten company I work for only pays for the controls people to get trained, while poor schmuck technicians like myself are left to sink or swim on our own. I am drowning. This is not worth the grief I have subjected myself to.

But seriously, even if you do go with an AB traing class for devicenet, the class content will most likely cover Controllogix (RSLogix 5000) and fairly simple devicenet nodes - I/O blocks and such and they really stress the importance of proper network layout, lengths, power supply, etc. The Controllogix is quite a bit different than the SLC when it comes to the advanced stuff in devicenet. So, you'll still have to figure out a lot on your own.

It really should be a lot easier than you describe. Setting this up would take me maybe five minutes. If you have just one PowerFlex 70 with a 20-COMM-D and you haven't messed with the I/O parameters much, it will exchange 4 bytes of Input data and 4 bytes of Output data with the 1747-SDN. The main things to do with the drive: Make sure it can run. This requires a maintained STOP signal on the terminal block. Make sure it is looking to DeviceNet for its speed reference. Set Speed Reference A (Parameter 90) for "DPI Adapter 5", which is the DeviceNet adapter. Set the desired Node Number and Data Rate with the rotary switches on the 20-COMM-D module. The main things to do with RSNetworx for DeviceNet: If you use the "AutoMap on Add" function (which is default) to add the PowerFlex 70 to the 1747-SDN Scanlist in RSNetworx for DeviceNet, these four bytes will be mapped to two 16-bit Input Words and two 16-bit Output Words. By default, these should be addressed in the SLC I/O table as (where x is the slot of the 1747-SDN) I:x.1 I:x.2 O:x.1 O:x.2 The very first word of the I/O table is reserved for 1747-SDN control and 1747-SDN status. You must download this configuration into the 1747-SDN from RSNetworx. The main things to do with the SLC: Remember to turn O:x.0/0 = true to enable the scanner module ! To test the drive, put a value between 0 and 15128 into O:x.2 and poke a 1 into O:x.1/1. The drive should start running !

and... if you wanted.... you could post your *.DNT file and your *.RSS file and experienced members of the Forum could look at them. I would !

Believe it or not, I have done just about everything as you have suggested. With the exception of hard wiring a "stop" on the TB in the drive. I have even copied the logic and parameter settings in existing, operating networks and have gotten no where. What puzzles me is the I/O map to the scanner: The Powerflex is address 10, but when it maps, it is I:1.0 and I:1.1. The scanner is in slot 3 of the rack. Where do the M1 and M0 files come into play that are supposed to be addressed and monitored with copy commands to/from an integer file? The controls department manager went to AB yesterday for Devicenet training. I am going to get under his skin today with a million questions. Sounds to me like you have this thing down to something as simple as making a sandwich. We'll see if he has a clue...By the way, the drive does run from the HIM. Thanks for your time.

Do that last thing Eddie suggests; post your *.DNT file and *.RSS file together in a ZIP as an attachment to your post. I'm sure I could help, too. This really is easy once you get the hang of it. No more worrying about analog modules to send a reference to the drive ! Did you get to read that tutorial that comes with RSNetworx for DNet ? I include it in my classes and it really does explain the Data Table Mapping very well.