Thermo

CPM1A factory default reset

11 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Thanks to all who helped with my first post - how to get started with a second-hand CPM1A PLC.  Thought I should now start a more specific thread.

I now have Syswin 3.4 running in Windows xp mode in Windows Virtual PC, I think I have a Chinese USB-CIF02 comms cable/adapter and drivers correctly installed in Win xp mode.  The PLC powers up with the PWR and RUN LEDs lit.  The USB adapter TX LED flickers when I use the Syswin comms test function, indicating that Syswin is talking to the adapter.  But having tried 128 combinations of comms protocol and unit address at 9600 baud without success, I believe there are now two possibilities.

First, while Syswin is sending something to the USB adapter, it may not be 'talking' correctly to the PLC .OR. the PLC is set for some unusual communications settings for reasons unknown, that I may never be able to stumble upon.  Both possibilities could be eliminated if I could return the PLC to the factory default state, with a known comms setup.

However, it seems the comms settings in DM words are stored in Flash memory and can only be changed if I can 'talk' to the PLC - Catch 22?  I can find no sign of any DIP switches or hardware reset button etc.  Surely there must be some way to clear the flash memory to return the device to the factory default state?  All suggestions gratefully received.

Ian

If you were in Sydney I would hook up my genuine Omron gear for you and use the CX-P auto online function to find it for you - if auto online works on these old paperweights! Do not even have one to try anymore. It is probably battery backed - remove the battery for a couple of weeks.

Edited by BobB

Hi Bob,

I'm interested.  Have sent you a PM.

Ian

No other takers on this topic, ladies and gentlemen?

Thermo,

Just had another thought.  I will probably be banned from the forum for this, but the CPM1/CPM1A does support the handheld programmer C200H-PRO27, or CQM1-PRO01.

No one really cares for handheld programmer, but they always connect.  You might try checking with your local Omron distributor to see if you could borrow one for a day.

This would allow you to view the DM channels that set the comm parameters for the port.

I did see there are some available on ebay.  Note the C200H-PRO27 does require a cable C200H-CN222, cable is built in to the CQM1-PRO01.

Hope this will help.

hahaha... Pro27... Wow you're not going to get banned but many of us will start guessing your age ;)

Well, I started on the PRO15.

Was not a stranger to LSS either, but was glad to see it go!

Just made me a little older, didn't it :-)

Oh dear - making me feel really old now! M1R with the keypad on the front, the old sequencers, Hitachi D40 and J series, S20 - oh well! C20 with no memory so you had to juggle really hard to get a program in them. Then there was the revelation CAPS. Hated LSS - refused to use it.

Well, since I am the keeper of technotes on reeeeeeally old Omron PLCs, I did a little research on this subject.  I don't think it will help Thermo's situation, but it might shed light on how the flash memory works.

Super capacitor backup on CPM1 .pdf

Hi GT, Bob and Jay,

Many thanks for your contributions and help today and previously.  Hope you all enjoyed your stroll down memory lane.  In a parallel world I could mention the 'in-cabinet' monitoring module in the Toshiba Tosdic DCS in the early '80s and the wonderful 'fill-in-the-forms' configuration system of the Yokogawa uXL DCS.  Similarly clunky and crude by today;s standards to your old PLC programmers/software, I would think.  And showing my age too now...

Jay, thanks for the old tech note.  However, even after finding an early '60s Toyota Owner's Manual to help interpret it, I still couldn't make much sense of it!

Like the comments! Old buggers here? Again!