guillencito

Connection with a CPM2A PLC

21 posts in this topic

Hi! Who knows how can I connect a PC to a CPM2A PLC using the PLC's serial port? Because I lost the original communications cable for this PLC (CQM1-CIF02) And I believe this cable is connected by the peripherial port (I never used the cable and don't remember what kind of connectors it have) And we can't get another new cable because I need to check quickly an error in the PLC's program Thanks a lot by your help! Guillén

If using the serial port turn the little switch next to the port to the on position. This means 9600, 7 E 2. Hostlink (sysmacway) And heres the link to the cables found in the download section Omron Serial Cables

Thanks a lot, Sleepy Wombat! I really appreciate your help. Now we are on line with PLC and found the problem in a mechanical device (after verifying the program)

I have connet to PLC CPM2AE but I have changed Peripheral to RS232C and now I not connect to PLC to PC when used CX One. I have tried connet two kind:

1. Cable CIF01  to peripheral : not connect

2. Cable RS 232 to port RS 232: not conect.

PLC is normal: run but port RS 232 in PLC have not connect to HMI althought before connect normal.

I have setting wrong hotlink to Rs232 but now I don't connect to PLC to change. PLC have no battery. Please help me to connect PLC or clear setting port.

Thank you somuch 

On 12/22/2002 at 3:03 AM, Jay Anthony said:

Check DM 6602 for #0001; if it is true, then the program is write protected. Change the value of DM6602 to #0000. See table below:

17 hours ago, khanhtdh said:

I have connet to PLC CPM2AE but I have changed Peripheral to RS232C and now I not connect to PLC to PC when used CX One.

When using the CIF01 cable to connect to CX Programmer, set Peripheral tab settings to Host Link. Default setting is Standard(9600: 1,7,2,E) but this may be changed.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2004 at 9:22 AM, Sleepy Wombat said:

If using the serial port turn the little switch next to the port to the on position. This means 9600, 7 E 2. Hostlink (sysmacway) And heres the link to the cables found in the download section Omron Serial Cables

This is referring to the 9 Pin port. Did you try this? Be sure to find the correct cable. The HMI cable will not work with CX Programmer.

1 person likes this

Thank you Mr IO_Rack. I will test it and reply you. Because PLC in china has not little switch on near serial. I will drill on board.

Because PLC CPM2AE made in china has not switch ON/OFF near RS232 port. I have open board and check but pin in position dipswitch have no circuit.

In RS232 on PLC connect HMI used hotlink (9600,7,2,E) but now port not connect to HMI although before connect normally.

Cable RS232 is OK because I used many time: XW2Z-200S-CV.

Cable CIF-01 is ok.

It is difficult for me: no battery, no clear config plc, no reset plc.

Please help me, but not connect I must change CP1E and modul, I must pay money for that change.

May clear PLC?? because I have program PLC before change config.

Thanks you so much !

I have connect cable with PLC by 2 kind:

1. CIF01

2.RS232 :  XW2Z-200S-CV  to serial port in PLC

When connect the led in PLC  (COMM): is flash red but no respond from PLC. I used CX one and used SYS Win but not connect.

Please help me !

I was unaware of the Chinese model "E".

Did you try the Auto Online > Direct Online feature in CX Programmer using the CIF01 cable?

Is the HMI an Omron? If so, it's possible the 9 pin port may be set to NT Link and you will not be able to connect CX Programmer.

I bought Omron CS1W-CIF31 USB-RS232 converter try to read CPM2A, but it is not successful. According the manual I still need a CQM1-CIF02 cable to connect between the USB-RS232 and PLC. Anyone the both side DB9 pin out? I want to make the cable myself instead of paying $50 for a cable.

The CQM1-CIF02 is more than just a cable adapter. Are you trying to go to the DB9 connector on the PLC?

the manual said there is another cable CS1W-CN226/626, anyone has DB9-DB9 pin out? If you can share, I will greatly appreciate

The CS1W-CN226 isn't DB9 on both ends. What PLC exactly are you trying to connect to? Any option modules?

Mr_PLC_HostLink_Cable.PNG.77ddb76b62936c

The Omron CS1W-CIF31 is simply an RS232C to USB converter. You'll need the above cable that you can make yourself to connect to the RS232C (9-Pin) port on the PLC. The diagram states, "RS-232C Option Board", but all Omron Host Link cables are the same... with the exception of some very, very old models.

The CQM1-CIF02 is for connecting to the PLC via the Peripheral Port.

Edited by IO_Rack

Thanks IO_Rack, I make the DB9-DB9 cable as your diagram, when It connect to CS1W-CIF31 pigtail, it is able to read another OMROM's PLC but not  CPM2A

. I see the TD LED on the CS1W-CIF31 flash, and CX-One is trying different baud rate, finally said can not find CPU. There is a NT21-ST121B-E HMI connect to the CPM2A use the the same RS232 port. I try to connect the HMI and CPM2A to read the program, both fail.

My CPM-2A have a little switch besides the port and it is set to "ON"

Any clue?

1 person likes this

Anyone know how to read the project out from the NT21 HMI? 

Those Japanese is suck. they try to make a simply RS232 as complex as possible to let you buy their expensive cable. 

For the HMI you need to put it in transfer mode first. And depending on the version you may need some very old software - I run mine on a windows 98 virtual machine sometimes. Try transfer mode first.

As for the PLC - try making a project with the exact CPU type and setting the communication to Sysmac way 9600 7,E,2  (should be the default). Select your com port and try to go online

16 hours ago, Michaelchenca said:

My CPM-2A have a little switch besides the port and it is set to "ON"

When this switch is ON, the serial port settings will be 9600, 7, E, 2. Use the above cable. 

The HMI programming cable is different. It is also different from the one the connects PLC to HMI. You'll have to make this cable or buy it.

16 hours ago, Michaelchenca said:

they try to make a simply RS232 as complex as possible to let you buy their expensive cable.

They make these pin outs complex because they support many useful functions and protocols. It's not much different than other PLC manufacturer. The cable diagrams are documented in detail and can be made easily and inexpensive.

1 person likes this

@IO_Rack @Sleepy Wombat

EDITED:  Managed to solve it all myself.  Yes, regular USB-to-Serial works (though beware as 3rd party ones can be twitchy, some are good others not).  Yes, you need DB9 serial with correct pinouts or cable from Omron.  Yes, switch on CIF01 needs to be in up/HOST position.  No, it doesn't matter how COM Port is set in Windows Dev Manager.  CX-Progammer will define the settings and ignore Windows (we had Windows configued 8-N-1 and CX connected using 7-E-2.

Sorry for necromancing this thread, I've got a CPM2A controlling and older bottling line and the battery died (no one, including the manufacturer's manual) told us there was a PLC battery that needs to be replaced.  We managed to get the battery, but it seems the CPM2A has lost some/all of it's programming.

We have the CX-Programming software and we have several standard USB-to-RS232C adapters that we use for some other devices.  Our bottling line manufacturer is willing to connect to our laptop over TeamViewer and reprogram the PLC for us, but we are trying to get everything setup so that it's communicating.

I'm struggling to understand what further steps we need to take to connect to the CPM2A.  

1. Can we use a regular USB to Serial Converter? If so, can we leave the port settings in Windows Device Manager set to 8-None-1 and CX-Programmer will bypass those settings and use 7, E, 2?  Or do we need to set that at Device Manager level as well?
  2. It sounds like we need another DB9 cable that has the same pinouts as shown above?  A standard computer DB9 serial cable will not work, right?
  3. When we plug into the CIF01 should the switch in this position be in the 'Up" position?  It isn't labeled as On or Off so we are not sure what position to put it into. It appears that the up position is Host and bottom position is NT and/or LINK?

1.jpg

Edited by winedog
solved my questions on my own!