Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
metallian443

SLC5/04,DEVICENET,POWERFLEX70

3 posts in this topic

Hello to All, Here's the dilemma: I am an ET, and I work for a company who refuses to pay for formal training on any of our equipment. So, I have taken it upon myself to figure things out on my own. I do need help however. I have never had a programming class but I can trouble shoot a PLC online. There are some more advanced functions that puzzle me, but I can get around. I am however, having a great deal of trouble trying to get a network together using DEVICENET, an SLC 5/04 and a POWERFLEX 70 Drive. I have no idea how to write the logic to make the motor even act like it wants to rotate. I am not sure how to incorprate the m0 and m1 files by referencing them to an INTEGER file. If my POWERFLEX drive is number 10 on the network, is there an offset in the integer data table? Using RSNETWORX, I "see" the devices on the network yet I have no idea whether the drive or scanner are properly configured. In other words, I have been banging my head for 2 weeks and have essentially stalled out. Suggestions, criticisms? Hit me with your best shot!

I've heard it said that DeviceNet is a lot like swimming. If you know a little, you might thrash around but you'll be OK. If you know nothing about it and you try doing it, you're going to be in a lot of trouble. It sounds like you have missed one of the major principles of using DeviceNet with A-B controllers, which is the configuration of the 1747-SDN DeviceNet scanner. There is a PowerPoint Slideshow tutorial that ships with RSNetworx for DeviceNet software that is actually a very good overview of how DeviceNet itself works, as well as how the software interacts with the scanner and the slave device to configure an I/O connection. I very strongly recommend that you go through all the sections of that tutorial. You have already seen at least the network browse feature of RSNetworx for DeviceNet, but you are only skimming the surface of what it does. RSNetworx has two main functions: configure slave devices from any manufacturer, and configure Rockwell Automation master scanners. The PowerFlex 70 has to be put into the 1747-SDN Scanlist. That is how the connection gets established, and the "mapping" function will tell you where in the I/O image (or the M-files) of the 1747-SDN the data from the drive will appear. There is no offset or fixed memory location for DeviceNet slaves, like there was with A-B's proprietary RIO network.

When I work on SLC's and Powerflex 70 drives on DeviceNet, I pull three reference manuals off my bookshelf: 1. 1747-SDN Installation Guide: Publication 1747-IN058C-EN-P 2. PowerFlex 70 User Guide: Publication 20A-UM001J-EN-P 3. 20-COMM-D User Guide: Publication 20COMM-UM002C-EN-P All of these are available free for download at literature.rockwellautomation.com. I will leave the Search and navigation functions of that website as an exercise to you since you're going to need to learn them anyhow.