aldridgen

Beginners Servo Help Required.

5 posts in this topic

I have been programming Omron plc's for a while but have not used any servo drives. I have customer who is free issuing the following equipment for a project he wants programmed.:

cj1m cpu21, r88d-gt04h, r88d-gt08h, r88m-g40030h, r88m-g7503h-s2.

The small drive is connected to a simple ball screw moving a stop. The second drive is connected through a gear box and chain drive full details not known to date.

I have read the cj1 manuals and will be generally using  pls2 commands for the position movements. 

Are the drives plug and play? If I connect the drives leaving the parameters as out of the box defaults should the drives operate using the pls2 command.

In this condition I assume it is 10000 pulses per rev of motor.

I can scale positions with maths in Plc and send the required pulses.

Any guidance appreciated to confirm I am on the write track.

I assume I could also use the electronic gearing parameters. Any examples using 5mm ball screw!

For simple motion applications the CJ1M-CPU21 can only control 2 servos using the Built-In I/O of the PLC.

To control the additional 2 axes you will need an additional CJ1W-NC213 or CJ1W-NC233 module.

Though these are very powerful units for more complex motion tasks, they are tough to set up/configure for the uninitiated/new user.

Using a CJ2M-CPU11/12/13/14/15 PLC [Depending on your program size] with 2 CJ2M-MD211 or CJM-MD212 modules mounted on the LHS of the PLC is a far more cost effective option, easier to use and configure for simple control of four axes.

Hi, there are only two axis. I have listed the two servo drives r88d and two servo motors r88m.

My bad!

1.Maximum output frequency of the high speed pulse outputs is 100kHz. Depending on the speed you require from the servo you may have to modify the gearing parameter in the drives to run the motor [10,000 steps/rev]. 100kHz/10,000 = Max Speed of 10 revs/sec.

2.Are the drives plug and play? YES and NO. You really should tune them for the load and inertia ratio of the mechanical system to optimize performance.

From memory you should use the CX-Drive application included with the CX-One software to get online and configure the drive. Furthermore default homing procedure and limit configuration parameters in the drive may have to be modified to suit your setup [Home Sensor? End Limits? Direction? etc].

Do not have examples to show. All application dependent.

Thanks for your help/info.

I am aware I will need to fit limits and homing switches.

The application is only slow speed.

I just want to gain as much knowledge before the system arrives to me so I can get the drives rotating before then playing and fine tuning the application.