tvaughn

Sending event code to computer FX2N

6 posts in this topic

I have an application where our IT department wants us to output an event code via USB to a computer. The plc is a FX2N type which I don't believe has the capability (There are 12 machines to be done so I would rather not upgrade plc's if not necessary). So far the only thing we've thought of is fixturing a barcode reader and using the machine to trigger the barcode which would scan the event code. This seems pretty barbaric and was trying to find a more eloquent solution. Any ideas? 

Why USB?  Most PLCs (if they even offer) USB connection is for programming only.

Why not send a string out the serial port?

Yes, serial or even better; ethernet. Alternatively, since the IT department really wants this, they can poll the PLC for data (where you can set a bit high).

9 hours ago, tvaughn said:

I have an application where our IT department wants us to output an event code via USB to a computer. The plc is a FX2N type which I don't believe has the capability (There are 12 machines to be done so I would rather not upgrade plc's if not necessary). So far the only thing we've thought of is fixturing a barcode reader and using the machine to trigger the barcode which would scan the event code. This seems pretty barbaric and was trying to find a more eloquent solution. Any ideas? 

Tvaugh. You can use mxcomponent softwere fron the mitsubishi electric. Mxcomponent is very powerful softwere .even its support the activex object too. 

We used to use MX component but found it buggy and unreliable (version 3). We moved over to OPC about 5 years ago and would not look back. OPC servers are easy to set up and far more flexible.

Do the systems have a HMI? you might be able to get your data out through them (they would have a serial or Ethernet port built in so you would not have to add anything to the Plc .

Thank you. I've not really done much outside of the plc programming itself so a little out of my element. They all have HMI's (mostly F940, but have upgraded a few to GT1050). From my understanding the IT guys basically just want the equivalent of a specified keystroke so seems like there should be a simple solution. I'll look into your suggestions and would welcome any additional recommendations as well.