GeraldTech

Disable BOOTP on built in ethernet port

11 posts in this topic

It's another BOOTP post! I know you're all as excited as I am, so lets get started. But seriously, I'm trying to disable BOOTP on the built in Ethernet ports, not on an Ethernet module. I specifically say disable because BOOTP successfully assigns the IP address to my Compact Logix, however I still need to disable BOOTP to make it a static IP address rather than a dynamic IP address.

I'm going to list everything that I have tried, so that anyone with the same issue can have an all-in-one-place reference. (Because there's a number of forum posts and other information for this topic on the internet, with many different suggestions) If I see different ideas/suggestions in other places, I can edit them into this post.

Things I have tried: (and you should try if you have this issue) Disabling all firewalls, (For me: Windows/Avast) Disabling all other network adaptors. (Wifi especially, but any and all adaptors you are not using for the setup) Using a different laptop/operating system: (My current laptop runs windows 8.1 and uses a Linksys usb to Ethernet device to talk to the PLC, I tried a laptop running windows 7 which communicated using a built in Ethernet port)

Lastly: Try to use all available methods to disable it. For me, that would be: BOOTP standalone server, RSLinx, (Trying to use both USB and Ethernet connections) and finally RSLogix. (Actually, only Ethernet modules have a "disable BOOTP" checkbox built into RSLogix, so that is not an option for me.)

[If you have an Ethernet module, go to port configuration in RSLogix and uncheck the "enable BOOTP" checkbox]

Anyway, RSLinx Classic (version 3.71) and BOOTP Standalone server (version 2.32) are each coming back with an error when I try to disable BOOTP. I'll attach a .jpg of some screenshots, and some Wireshark save files to show what I mean. In the RSLinx Wireshark file, it shows a "privilege violation" packet being sent from the PLC to the laptop towards the end of the exchange, but I'm not sure what privileges the laptop needs/doesn't have.

For the wireshark files: I cleared everything happening before I try to send the command, so that there isn't a ton to search through. As far as timing of the wireshark files go: I start recording traffic, send the disable command (by clicking the disable BOOTP/DHCP button on BOOTP server or "apply" on RSLinx) then I stop recording traffic once I get the error message. So, the captured packets should be just the attempt to disable BOOTP and that's about it.

I am sorry that I the pictures are strung together using paint, but I don't have photoshop on my work computer so it's the best I have. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated! (Regardless of whether they are suggestions for me, or suggestions that I may have missed intended for anyone with this problem.) Thank you for your time.

Edit: I had the attached pictures open in paint/photo viewer, sorry that they look bad in the forum picture viewer.

BOOTP_SERVER.jpg

BOOTP_SERVER.png

BOOTP_wireshark.pcapng

RS_Linx.jpg

rs_linx_USB_wireshark.pcapng

rs_linx_wireshark.pcapng

Edited by GeraldTech
Apology for bad images

This might be totally unrelated.  I've always had trouble with the BOOTP server.  I traditionally always use DF1 via RSLinx on the older CompatLogix.  On the newer CompactLogix styles, you can use USB.  If forced to use BOOTP server, I have always found it to be a two part effort.  First time to set the IP, close out BOOTP Server, restart BOOTP server, find my new IP and disable the BOOTP successfully.

20 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

This might be totally unrelated.  I've always had trouble with the BOOTP server.  I traditionally always use DF1 via RSLinx on the older CompatLogix.  On the newer CompactLogix styles, you can use USB.  If forced to use BOOTP server, I have always found it to be a two part effort.  First time to set the IP, close out BOOTP Server, restart BOOTP server, find my new IP and disable the BOOTP successfully.

I've heard a lot of people have BOOTP issues. I actually did try using RSLinx with USB earlier, it failed as well. But good suggestion, the RSLinx software does seem like the best method to use to disable BOOTP (from what I've read) Unfortunately, in my case, RSLinx fails to send the disable command regardless of whether I'm using USB or Ethernet connection.

Using the BOOTP-DHCP server program I haven't failed to disable BOOTP (though it may take two or three button presses).

I used to have a ton of trouble with BOOTP-DHCP server program.  It would always take the IP, but disabling BOOTP would often fail.  Now I rarely have a problem.  The only difference is that once I set my IP address, I wait for the IP address to show up next to the MAC address in the 'Request History' window (the top one).  Then I select it from that list and click the disable button.  Maybe that is what I was supposed to do from the start, but I was not taught that.  By trial, I was able to learn the above pattern.  It has been working well since I figured that out.

Using the BOOTP server program is a crap shoot for me.  There are the rare occasions that I may win, but usually it fails.  I have never had a problem with disabling it via RSLinx though which it looks like you have tried unsuccessfully.  Looking at your screen shots, it looks like some kind of permission error from the PLC itself.  I will note that with my processor L32E - I get the BOOTP checkbox in the ethernet configuration.

To dforsythe - I also click on the address but I wait until the 'Relation List' pane shows with 'BOOTP' and click on it then the 'Disable BOOT'. I guess it's the same thing. With some devices it routinely notes success on the first try. Some, like PLCs' I often have to try more than once but I can't remember it ever being more than three times.

Good morning PLC guys!! I've been using the BOOTP server ever since EthernetIP came out and the two most common mistakes I've seen and experienced is with the local network on the programming PC. The first thing you must do is set your local Nic with a static IP address that is in the same range as that you are going to assign to the PLC remote IO or drive you are programming and secondly in BOOTP server software go to tools and network settings and put the default gateway address in there for the network you're assigning. (192.168.1.1) or whichever network you're using. This should resolve any connections issues. I use bootp on allot of devices that has EthernetIP including Yaskawa vfd's and have little problems disabling BOOTP. Also don't forget to disable your wireless network BOOTP will try to go out the wireless interface it it is connected to a network and cause you grief. Hope this helps and you all have a great day!!!

Edited by GaryJ
Wireless issue

Hi All,

I actually ended up receiving help from a Mitsubishi Tech support person, who got it to work after multiple attempts. He thinks it was as simple as me having the programming switch in the wrong position. He said it has to be at the program setting (Prog) and not either of the other two. (Rem and Run) I haven't used enough BOOTP to know that myself, but it would make sense that you wouldn't be able to make any kind of networking changes while its running. I think I was using it in "Rem" mode, and I was just switching it back and forth from "remote run" to "remote program" in my laptop. I might look into this further if I get the time. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm sure someone with the same problem will find this thread useful in the future, regardless of whether this is what actually fixed my issue.

I know this is a few months old, but I haven't seen problems related to the mode switch being in "REM".  HOWEVER: I have seen a problem with an I/O device not allowing us to disable BOOTP if it was being scanned by a PLC.  Disconnecting the PLC from the network allowed us to disable BOOTP.  Details: a technician was experimenting with an ArmorBlock I/O device and managed to set the IP address but kept having to use BOOTP every time he powered up the test bench. As soon as he set the IP address, the PLC would take control and wouldn't allow him to disable BOOTP, either through the BOOTP server or through RSLinx.  Disconnecting the PLC from the network allowed him to disable BOOTP.  So, I guess try making sure that the network port isn't being used for anything before trying to disable BOOTP/DHCP.

Try these videos and see if this helps ...I am sure you may have already done this

The BOOTP-DHCP server program has always disable BOOTP for me and of course making sure that the communications is configured with the BOOTP disable with any program I down load into the controller.

https://wordpress.com/post/ladiesandtech.com/400

https://wordpress.com/post/ladiesandtech.com/395