IO_Rack

Backup / Restore Variables and Memory

7 posts in this topic

This function works fine for Online operations. Is there a comprehensive method of viewing the (xml stored) memory values Offline?

It's XML.  Open in a text viewer or web browser.  There's no dedicated viewing tool.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to store the last online variable values in the project file?

It would be great to know that when you leave site you have all of the correct values. If the customer calls and you haven't backed up the variables how can you inform them on a particular variable value eg. Timer setpoint

I believe this should be added to the Sysmac Studio improvements list in the near future.

Not many PLCs do what you are asking for.  Not that I have worked with in my 20 years at this.

I've experienced pros and cons to the automatic variable memory save function in AB PLCs. My first PLC experiences were not with AB so I'm quite accustomed to saving memory variables as a separate function.

What I'm asking for in this post is method of viewing these values offline. They have the ability to save them for online operations. CX Programmer has this function but viewing consecutive addresses is obviously much easier than the tag based variables. The xml file is a bit cryptic and a utility for viewing them offline would be a nice Sysmac Studio improvement.

+1 on the offline variable tool.

I was referring to AB RS5000 software but decided not to swear inside an Omron forum. 

It would be of great benefit!

This has been an open question for over a year now. Excel has the function to interpret xml files. I found this very useful.