iti

SNP communications via XP virtual machine

3 posts in this topic

I have been using a Horner Electric SNP adapter cable (HE693SNP306AX) with an RS232 to USB adapter for the last 6 or 7 years to communicate between a Windows XP laptop and GE series 90 PLCs using LogicMaster LM90 DOS based software. I have never had any communication problems with that setup. My XP machine died and I now have a Windows 7 Pro machine with a virtual XP machine running on it. The LM90 software works fine in the virtual XP environment but I cannot establish communications with any of the PLC processors. Is there a com port driver I need to download? I have spent the last 5-6 days trying to get this to work with no success. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Does the USB/serial converter show up in Device Manager on the virtual machine? Did you specify the correct COM port in Logicmaster?

Of more importance, why in the world are you still using Logicmaster? Even though you have been getting away with it for several years, you had to know that sooner or later you would get stymied.

I agree wholeheartedly with Steve. Please get Proficy ME and your troubles will be fewer.

To get your USB to Serial adapter to work in the Virtual Machine please consult the documentation of the VM software you are using.  And remember LM90 only works with COMM 1 -4.

I would also try a different USB - Serial adapter.

Edited by RussB