Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest engalex

FESTO Vs Siemens

6 posts in this topic

Our enterprise is evaluating the possibility of replacing old S5 PLC's. We have are talking about 70 CPU´s and around 600 modules. So IT IS A BIG INVERSION. FESTO has very good prices. And their equipments seem to be very good. But he have no references here about FESTO. What do you think? It is viable? Replacing old siemens S5 by FESTO PLC's? Have you heard about other entrerprises using FESTO PLC's? I would appreciate your advice so much. Thanks, Alex

Hello, Why would you choose Festo and not S7, with S7 you could, in most cases, re-use your I/O. I've never used Festo so in that sense I can't reply. Rudi

I know festo plc but i`ll prefer siemens plc. Siemens plc has all the features that you need. You could use your existing I/O with siemens S7 in modification your system.

Or if you're not going with Siemens due to Pricing, this guy makes a (Suprisingly passionate) point... http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=5912 Although Seeing as this question was originally posed over a year ago, It's probable you've chosen Festo or S7. If unregistered is looking at this, what did you choose?

If you want to keep your PLC programs you should consider VIPA solutions. You may be able to replace old S5 to new VIPA System 200V that couls use the same Step 5 programs. If you want an alternative with a Siemens compatible, then VIPA has other solutions cheaper then Siemens and with some much bether carateristics. VIPA CPUs are programmed with Step 7 from Siemens and you can convert your S5 programs to a Vipa CPU like you do to a Siemens S7-300

Forget about any Data Blocks you ever had in S5 before the conversion as they'll end up being shoved into some part of the program you never called . The conversion from S5 to S7 is good with not so complex programs , but when using complex function blocks calling DB's , expect to end up in a world of ****. We use the Vipa Speed7 series and they absolutely KILL any Siemens hands down at half the cost ( sometimes a little more ). Their PID control is at minimum 3 times quicker than any S7 400 series cpu and scan times are quicker, no matter how bad your programming might be :) To top it off, they come with onboard ethernet port as well. Setting them up is easy with the right gsd files. They sit on a virtual profibus but everything else is the same as Siemens. I will never use Siemens again and swear by them. Edited by PLCMaster