mjrx

Cloning a hard drive with licensed software on it

5 posts in this topic

Now that the price of SSD's have come down so much, I have ordered a few to update some workhorse laptops that we use in the field. I then wondered if, when cloning the existing drive, would all of the licensing transfer over as well, specifically RS Logix. If the license is somehow linked to the drive's MAC ID, then I would think there may be an issue. Anybody run into any issues or have any tips on cloning a complete hard drive?

Please don't read into my original post as a way to get around any licensing. I have paid hard earned $ for my licenses, and kept them up to date. So if I need to de-activate the license and then re-activate it on the new drive, so be it. I just wondered what, if anything, I will run into. Thanks very much.

Cloned hard drive would transfer most licenses, but since you didn't say which software, I can't say for certain.   Use a product like Norton Ghost, it's simple.  There are others that are free.

I have RSLogix 500, FactoryTalk, and GX works 2

FactoryTalk attaches the license to the hard drive 99% of the time. It can be specified to attach the license to the MAC address of the computer though. This is very unlikely to be the case, though, so you should be able to fire up your backup drive with no issues.   Also, you can use something like VMWare converter to converter your physical computer to a VM. This allows you to have a quick VM backup you can run on any computer in an emergency and it should also work with no issues.