Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firozmortuza

SLC 5/03 CPU is not running properly

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I am Md Firoz Mortuza, Senior Scientific Officer, Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission. We have been using SLC 5/03 CPU to operate our Control Panel of Cobalt-60 Gamma Irradiator since year 2000. For few days, it is not operating properly and we can not run our irradiator. The detail scenario is given below: On the Power Supply module RED LED is ON which is normal. On the CPU module, 1. 'RUN' - LED is not Green. It is off. Normally, the LED light is GREEN. 2. 'BATT ' - Red LED is OFF which is normal. 3. 'RS232' - Green LED is not flashing. 4. DH 485 - Green LED is flashing 5. FLT' - Red LED is ON. It is 'blinking'. This is what we have not seen before. The selection switch on the CPU module is in 'RUN' mode. All the lights are off in the OUTPUT modules whereas desired lights of input modules are on. Normally, both the INPUT and OUTPUT module lights remain on. I have attached one photo for your easy understanding. Please give me your comments and suggestions to solve the problem. Thank you very much. Regards, Md Firoz Mortuza Senior Scientific Officer, Gamma Source Division, Institute of Food and Radiation Biology, AERE, Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission. Mobile: +88-01673639540.email: firozmortuza@gmail.com

The blinking red FLT LED indicates a recoverable fault. If the LED was solid red and not blinking, that indicates an unrecoverable hardware self-test fault. Either type of fault causes the controller to stop operating and turn off its Output devices. This is normal behavior. These faults are frequently caused by programming errors, like array overflows and divide-by-zero errors. It would be uncommon, but not impossible, for a programming error to surface after 15+ years of operation with no changes made to the program. If you can find a controller keyswitch (they are all identical) you can try to switch the controller from RUN to PROG and back to RUN. That clears any temporary faults and resets things like overflows. The problem might also be related to a failed I/O module; a bad 1746-series I/O module will also fault the controller because the system is out of control if it can't run all of its I/O modules. Going online with the controller using the RSLogix 500 software will allow a troubleshooter to determine the fault code and repair the control system. Your SLC-5/03 controller has an RS-232 serial port (the cable connected to it in the picture) as well as a DH-485 network port. While this does have a common modular jack, it is NOT AN ETHERNET PLUG. It actually has +24V on one of the pins, and will damage an Ethernet port if you connect it to one. If you don't have the tools and experience to troubleshoot the controller, there are very likely "system integrators" or the regional Rockwell Automation sales and service office who can troubleshoot the system.

Good day!

Hi, I am  Rupert Jewel F. Haro of REEL SERVICE PHILIPPINES Inc.   We have been using SLC 5/03 CPU to operate our PARKLAND SLITTING MACHINE since  2000 yesterday encounter SLC 5/03 Low battery blinking and after restart the machine encounter no program.. can you help us. thank you.

Edited by rharo
wrong grammar