PaulKim1003

Can I use non allen-bradley HMI screens with FactoryTalk?

9 posts in this topic

Hello all, Allen-Bradley HMI screens are expensive. So I was wondering if i can use different HMI screens with FactoryTalk? does anyone know which screens I can use ?? Thanks

You can use FactoryTalk SE (not ME) local and run it on an industrial pc of your choice. FactoryTalk ME will only program the Panelview Plus. If you're looking for a cost-effective AB solution, check out the AB Panelview 800 (programmed with CCW). If you want to get away from AB entirely, check out Red Lion. Or, really, just about any other HMI. They pretty much all have drivers to talk to AB PLCs.

I am sorry. I dont know much about difference between ME and SE. Can you please explain to me? Thanks

ME = Machine Edition; this software takes the APA project file and creates a runtime MER file that gets downloaded to PanelView HMIs. SE = Site Edition; this PC-based software runs on a PC (could be any PC, not just Allen-Bradley); one builds a SE project then creates a Client file that is executed when the PC starts. ME license cost (only need 1 license to develop but can make multiple application files for many A-B HMI units) plus HMI cost typically is cheaper than SE license cost (1 license per PC) plus PC plus operating system license. Keep in mind that ME is an HMI and does not have 21 CFR Part 11 (data redundancy) or data logging abilities (reboot the HMI and your alarm history is cleared out), whereas SE has data and event historian abilities (of course, those license add-ons are required and cost). There are many HMIs out there that are cheaper than A-B and have drivers to communicate with A-B PLCs. I will 2nd JRoss with Red Lion...cheaper, easy software, cheaper software license, rugged.
1 person likes this

Panelview Standard = Atari 2600 Panelview Plus = Nintendo Red Lion G3 = Playstation 4 A/B makes great PLCs and PLC software, but Red Lion Crimson 3.0 is the best hardware HMI software I have ever used and it is free. It also supports accurate emulation on your computer that can often be used to talk to real PLC hardware for fully testing your work before buying anything. Edited by OkiePC

You can run ME on a PC, just need the runtime.  Stay the hell away from SE.   FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station For Windows FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station runtime software for Microsoft® Windows® 7 / Microsoft® Windows® XP SP3 is used to run FactoryTalk View Machine Edition projects created with FactoryTalk View Studio on any computer with the Windows 7/Windows XP operating system, including our family of industrial computers. Includes RSLinx® Enterprise* and KEPServer Enterprise**. Catalog Number Description 9701-VWMR015AENE FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station Runtime 15 Displays 9701-VWMR030AENE FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station Runtime 30 Displays 9701-VWMR075AENE FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station Runtime 75 Displays 9701-VWMR250AENE FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station Runtime 250 Displays 9701-VWMR500AENE FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station Runtime 500 Displays

What PLC are you using?  The PLC of choice will dictate what communication methods are available. What size HMI screen do you desire? Once you know the communication method and the desired screen size, you can then look at comparing 3rd party HMI to the best-fit Allen-Bradley choice.  I personally have used Maple Systems, Red Lion, Mitsubishi, Beijer, Parker CTC.  For Logix PLCs, Red Lion would probably be my top HMI choice.

Don't Forget about ambient enviorment  some screens are susceptible to low frequency vibration and high amb. temperature the Beijer screens work better there for me especialy thier Marine line but they are more difficult to use and a bit more expensive than the Red lion and EZpanel screens I have also used as low cost alternatives to the Panel View Plus.  Red lion is the easiest to use that I have found so far especialy if you ever need to set up a system with differient controler types and com protocols

Delta HMI, HiTech HMI, Weiview HMI are cost effective and software are also free and communicates with Allen Bradley PLCs.