EricSt

Debugging FX1s Beer Bottling machine

8 posts in this topic

Hello All! Long time engineer first time programmer. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have an automated Beer bottle rinser, filler, and capper that I need help diagnosing a problem. We purchased the machine in July and it ran great until a couple weeks ago when it doesn't seen to be reacting to bottles being present anymore. FX1s-30MR Here are the symptoms: When a bottle is run around the filling carousel, there is a prox sensor to detect it's presence (X007). There is also a sensor under the machine on the gears to detect timing (X006) When a bottle is detecting there is a slight delay, then the pneumatic valve for the purge fires (Y001), followed by the valve to fill the bottle with beer (Y002). Even though, the LED light on both the sensor and the I/O illuminate confirming that it is receiving the the input signal from that sensor, no output signals are being sent. My first instinct was to check all electrical connections and swap out the prox sensor just to be safe, but still no dice.... So I purchased a USB-RS422 FX cable and downloaded the demo of GX Works 2 to better try to pin point the issue. Using the monitor function on GX works 2 I can again confirm that the PLC is receiving the correct signal from X007 when a bottle is present, however the outputs Y001 and Y002 have a constant value of 0... Unfortunately this program is not simple enough for me to really understand, so maybe someone can make more sense of it than me. (see attached). Also, Not sure if its related, but when I ran the check program there is a double coil error revolving around the Beer inlet solenoid. This is to let beer into the filler bowl, not the bottle. oh and the manufacturer won't be able to help for a couple weeks when they can send a technician... Any thoughts, comments, or questions are appreciated. Cheers, Eric screenshot2.bmp screenshot1.bmp

Welcome, The instruction SFTL is a bit shift left, The K30 is the number of bits to be shifted the m111 is the start bit of the shift ( so the status of m111 to m140 are going to be shifted) by one position (K1). The status of m65 is moved into m111 every time the rung goes active then the status's of m111 to m140 are shifted 1 place left. ie if m65 =1 then m111 is made = 1 after a shift if m65 =0 then then its shifted again m112 will now =1 and m111 will = 0, the 1 will move left for every subsequent shift (m113 --> m140). I think you need to investigate what actions bit m100 as this triggers the shift instruction or bit m65 as this is the status that's being shifted. I hope this helps. If possible can you post the whole program ( zipped up)? Steve

Hi Nehpets, Thanks for the reply. Program is attached. So if I understand my program correctly, a pulse from sensor x007 turns m65 from 0 to 1. a second pulse from sensor x006 resets M65 to what it was. So if m65=0, then m65=0, but if m65=1 then m65=1. a signal from X006 also sets the relay m100 to 1, which in turn starts the shift of m111 towards m140. I actually don't see any other instances of m100, but m111 fires the vacuum solenoid (y001) and m113 fires the filling solenoid (y002). Thanks again, Eric 16-16-6PLC_2.rar

I would suggest that the proxy on X06 is not working or detecting, this is what instigates the shift register to move the detected bottle status around the carousel (m111, m113 etc.). Steve

Okay thanks, I will try that. Am I correct in seeing that the rising pulse for X007 comes before the pulse for X006? So maybe they should not be timed exactly but offset so X007 sends the signal before X006. Eric

The rising edge of X07 latches in M65 when a bottle is detected, this is the bit that is going to be placed in the shift register. When the carousel moves (assumption), X06 is activated, this activation triggers the shift register via M100, whereby the status of M65 is moved into M111, i.e. if M65 is 'on' then M111 turns 'on', as the carousel passes X06 the falling edge signal resets the M65 latch. So as you can see either X07 is not detecting a bottle or X06 is not triggering the shift register. You can set up a 'watch' table using GXworks and monitor M111 through to M140 to see if you are actually shifting the bits. The only conditions I can see needed for Y01 operation is M111 + M27 (auto) and no faults, ditto for Y02 except M113 activates it (two further movements of the carousel) Steve Edited by nehpets

Thank you Steve! By setting of the watch of M111 i have figured out that X006 is not triggering the shift register. I physically moved this sensor to send its signal after X007 and now the machine operates again as it should! Problem solved. Thanks again so much for your help. Eric