jferrell

RSlogix 500 compatibility question

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I am an IT guy for a small manufacturing company. One of our laptops is running Windows 7 x64 and it has RSlogix 500 v7.1 installed and running on it. The guy who uses it wants me to get him a new laptop but of course it will come with Windows 10 Professional. I was wondering if RSlogix 500 v7.1 will run on Windows 10? The reason I am asking here rather than from the software company or our reseller is that in my experience they are in business to sell software. I feel like they will always say you that you need to upgrade (even if you really don't have to). If we do, have to upgrade, the software will cost at least double what the actual laptop itself will! I wanted an objective opinion and some friendly advice before I make any recommendations. I appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

Hi j, According to the last Operating System Compatibility Matrix that I have (Apr-2012) RSLogix 500 v7.1 is not listed under Windows 7, which means to me that v7.1 is not guaranteed nor supported under Win7 and surely not under newer Operating Systems. (This doesn't mean it won't work but it is definitely not supported) Another issue you should be concerned about is that most new laptops lack of serial (RS232) comm port and according to my experience the majority of USB to Serial converters are not reliable. I would personally consider buying an ExpressCard Adapter. Hope this helps.

I know there are people successfully using RsLogix 500 with Windows 10 but I haven't personally. But so you allow for the use of virtual machines? I have an XP and W7 guest I regularly use for programming and at that point it doesn't really matter what host you use. I've even used it with no problems with an Ubuntu OS.

A work around for dealing with new OS and control software that takes time before is compatible with new OS...VirtualMachine. One can build a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VirtualMachine, load it up with all of your Allen-Bradley software, and finalize the licensing. With this method, your finalized A-B VirtualMachine can be copied to other PCs, archived, and restored (such as if your hard drive takes a big steaming dump). There are 2 hurdles with this method: 1. FT Licensing Manager: Has to reside on the host, to activate through an internet connection, then the VirtualMachine can check it out from the host 2. Serial Ports: As mentioned above, most new laptops have no hard DB-9 serial port. A-B has a USB-to-Serial converter, and there are many 3rd party converters. Since USB is a general bus, it is difficult to allocate a certain PC USB port to always use the same effective internal COM port. Do your engineers a favor and spec a PC with a hard serial port. They do exist, such as some Panasonic Toughbook models. Some laptops have card ports that have Serial converters you can try. I personally have not, yet. I have a number of Work Instructions for creating A-B VirtualMachines and using VMWare Workstation; you are welcome to message me if you have interest. BTW...Rockwell/Allen-Bradley uses VMWare Workstation for many of their field engineers and has formal documentation for using VMWare Workstation.