dhracer3

.cin file question.

4 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new to the world of automation so please excuse me if get my terms mixed up. I think I know the answer to this but its not quite clear in the manuals. I'm on a project that has about 9 CJ2H PLCs that we are doing a re-commisioning job. In each of the PLC files we have backup files and the program files. Some of the PLCs have .cin files for CX Integrator and some don't. Some of the files have routing tables as well. We are wondering if we are supposed to have a .cin file for each PLC and that this a must have file in order for the PLC to comunicate with other devices in the network? If each network is supposed to have one this means that we were not given those files from the original owners and then we need to create new ones. I'm thinking that its not a big deal and pretty easy to setup the network configuration. Anyone out there have any experience? Thanks

you are correct, if your plcs have at least one communication or network card (ethernet, device net, controller link, serial port) needing to be configured, they will have each one its own .cin file. If you know or suppose to know the settings of the installed cards (network number, node numbers), the files can be recreated at will.

It is likely that many of the PLCs have the same routing table. Look the different combinations of network configurations and I am guessing that there will be as many different configurations as there are .cin files. For instance: If there are 5 PLCs that have one Ethernet card and they are all set to unit 2 (arbitrary choice, it could be any unit # as long as they are all the same) then they would all have the exact same routing table (assuming that the Ethernet cards are all on the same network). If another PLC had one Ethernet card and some other network card (Controller Link as an example), then it would have a different .cin file.

Its difficult to understand this process when sitting at the desk and not on the jobsite. The PLCs are the Cj2H-EIP so they have the built in Ethernet module. There are 12 PLCs. These came from backup files we recieved. All the .cin files are with the backups except for 3 of them which looking at the drawings are connected through Ethernet together. I think I need to read through the manuals again in order to try and understand this a bit more. Do you have any reference materials that you would suggest? I have the CX Integrator Manual. If everything is connected when we do get onsite, and these PLCs need to have the network configured what is typically your first steps you would take? Thanks