Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest jj

IDEC PLC

7 posts in this topic

erm, any of u guys used IDEC 's PLC before? i never use it on any application but i feel that it lacks functions, no flexibility in programming (ladder only), its software interface is not that user friendly, but it has some special functions that are not common in other brands. and the rest of it, are just like what all other PLCs have. how do u think?

What type of IDEC PLC are you using? I am using an OpenNet (ONC) type it it really flexible to use although you have to program in ladder as you have said. An updated firmware of the ONC has all functions and flexibility you can think off. What VERSION of firmware are you using if it is ONC? I use WINDLDR ladder programming software. Thanks, Oimeke

I have used the IDEC FC4A Slimline unit. A really good simple to use PLC with many special functions [High speed Counters, PWM and/or High speed stepper outputs]. Very versatile for simple applications. The ASI scanner module for remote I/O is a really great device, cost is extremely competetive. The complete PLC with I/O and scanner costs less than a scanner alone from other manufacturers. If you want a simple to set up remote I/O unit with great troubleshooting and configuration capablities this scanner beats them all!! I understand that an upgraded model [FC5A] is planned for release fairly soon. Yes, the unit only programs in ladder but the instruction set is pretty extensive and should meets most simple application. One thing for sure, the unit is fast!! Their tech support is very responsive and LISTENS to their customers - something that is sorely missing with the feeble attempts by the big PLC guys to penetrate this market.

Modicon's attempt at low end PLC: They went out and bought them from Idec. I've programmed Omron, Mitsu, Idec, Siemens, and Modicon, and I'd say my two favorite are Siemens and Mitsubishi. The Idec is a good low end PLC. Obviously there's not a real high end large PLC from Idec, but so few applications these days require a large PLC. The MicroSmart is on par with the others in it's product class.

Do you know how i connect from a laptop USB Port to PLC IDEC using the original programming cable?.

You're going to need a USB to Serial adapter. I got one from CP Technologies (CP-US-03) from www.tigerdirect.com and it's worked with every PLC software I've tried.

I agree with "Crossbow" I picked up a USB to serial cable at Staples and now I can switch between WinO/I and WinLdr without swaping cables. It makes for lot faster debug ging.