Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Robert Mann

Data Logging upload over ethernet Query

3 posts in this topic

Hi, If anyone could give some advice I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to be figure out how to upload the data I've stored in the DLS file of a micrologix 1500 on a 200 tonne press that my company operates. The PLC is connected via ethernet but we only have the basic RSlinx that comes with Logix500. The 1500 manual says that using a logical read, the data can be uploaded but I really don't know where to go from here. Our rockwell rep said that I should be able to upload with some programming. All of the links on this site refer to using either DDE or OPC. I'm a mech eng and quickly learning how to programme a PLC. My query is, is there a info on the web I can use to get me started or should I really try to convince my company to invest in a single node liscence? Regards Robert Mann

I think that Data Log feature in the MicroLogix 1500 is a little bit hokey. It's a special memory file that can only be accessed by a little RA executable utility. The data is not accessible via RSLinx, and it is not accessible by the logic in the controller. What really gets me is that the MicroLogix deletes the data as the utility uploads it. Once you have uploaded the data file once, the data disappears in the controller ! You can download the utility from the MicroLogix 1500 downloads page: http://www.ab.com/mem/micrologix/download_...d_mlgx1500.html The utility only works with a local serial port, so I don't think you will be able to get the data over Ethernet. All this only applies to data that is stored in the special data log file in the MicroLogix. All other program data can be accessed via RSLinx OPC and DDE (which is what you need the RSLinx license for).

Thanks very much, I suspected that using the ethernet would not work. regards, Robert Mann