Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hashmi.mohammad

Simple PLC Coding Question - RS Logix 5000

4 posts in this topic

Hello, my question today deals with a particular way of coding in RS Logix 5000. I have two routines ( titled "Gauge" and "Alarm"). where rung 10 in Gauge is the exact same as rung 2 in Alarm. How can I make a change to rung 10 in Gauge and allow the program to automatically make that same change in rung 2 of Alarm? The only reason these two routines have the same rung at 10 and 2 respectively is to make trouble shooting easier whenever an issue arises. So instead of searching through the "Gauge' routine to find out where the fault is, I can easily look at the "Alarm" routine and find out what the problem is. I just want to be able to make changes to the Gauge routine and find someway to allow the program to automatically update the exact same rung in the Alarm Routine. Thanks.

If the two rungs are literally identical, then you can examine either one and the values in all the tags will be the same. You could make that one rung its own routine, and call it from both the Gauge and Alarm routines, if you want to edit the logic in one place. But there is no way for RSLogix 5000 to automatically edit one routine based on changes you make in a different routine. That's just not how it works.

The only way to edit code in one place and have it update in other instances is to create an AOI and use the same tags. I will say that it seems amateur to write the same piece of code twice just to view. You could bookmark that rung or create a watch table to monitor the values.