iztok

MX Components in setup C#

14 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a problem with MX components when i create install for my app (C#). For example i do not have any components from VS.NET(2010) on the form, only ActProgType.dll (this is one of mx components ocx). Everything its OK when i test the app in VS, but when i create setup for this dummy app and when i startup i do not have any error, but my form its not show. P.S. I have target platform on X86 because of COM component. Can anybody helps me? Thank!

Which MX Components version do you have?

Could you post your VS code in a screenshot, only the ACT controls...? EDIT: In addition; are you trying to install the application on the same computer as VS, or a completely different machine (without MX Components)? Edited by kaare_t

I do not have any code only have control on my form. On completely different machine (without MX Components). P.S. on machine with mx components its work. Thank you in advance!

So you have just "put" the "ActProgType" Control in the form without any code? The "image" you can see in VS Forms ("PRG") is just an image representing that the control is imported into the form (and you can receive events from it in code). However if you want to get/set values in the PLC you will need code (C# in your example) that reads and/or writes devices. The "image" you see in VS Forms ("PRG") is not an actual image that will show on any runtime form, it is just a representation of the control you have imported into the form. What exactly is it that you want to use MX Components for? What have you done so far if you haven't coded anything? What happens with the form (and the image) when you select to "run" the application from VS? Does it work in design-time only on your machine, or does it also work in runtime on your machine? What happens if you install the application on the same machine as VS (and MX Components)?

OK, I see that there was a misunderstanding. I have source and everything works fine, but to avoid a discussion about the source, because I know that does not cause problems (it took me two days to figure out) I simply extracted the problem in a simple example. Because of all the above I made a new project without any control on the form except ActProgType control, and I made the setup application to run on other machines without MX components.Setup is installed without any problem, but when you start the application form is not displayed on the screen, with or without a code.P.S. Everything pass without the error. I hope I have managed to explain. :)Thank you very much for your time.

Hello, I have some new information a bout the my problem. Therefore, on win 7 i have error like on picture in attachment. And if you want you can install the dummy app and the app is also in the attachment. Thanks for your time I appreciate it. Error.bmp PROBA.rar Edited by iztok

I take it that you haven't got MX Components installed on the second computer then? I would guess that there is a problem with registration of the .dll's needed. I don't remember exactly if I needed to install MX Components also on the "client" computer, or how the procedure was to register the correct COM components on the client machine. I will investigate some more.

Yes i do not have MX components on that computer and yes that is i good guess that i need to register the .dll's, but i do not have a luck with that. As for the registration, i know the classic way with regsvr32.exe app, but that do not work. Thanks for your time. Edited by iztok

try using "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe" for some reason 32 and 64 bit names are swapped around: on 64 bit machine "C:\windows\system32\" path is used for 64 bit application, but you want 32 therefor you must use path " C:\Windows\SysWOW64\"

I also tried this now that I understood your issues. The problem is that ActProgType.dll wont register, neither in system32 or sysWoW64. I also tried to register the ActProgType.tlb file, it registers fine but still same issue. To be honest I cannot remember if this is possible without MX Components on the client computer or not, but I will check my records later. I also tried the sample(s) that comes with MX Components with the same issues. The problem is that when firing the application, it misses the dll with GUID xxx.... but when I take a look at my dev.computer, that GUID is for ActProgType.dll, so I'm a bit in the dark right now but we must continue debugging... Anyone else got experience in running an MX Components app on a client comptuter that does not have MX Components installed?

Ok, guys! Thanks for your time. I have solution for this issues. I'm not sure if this is an illegal action, but never mind. Therefor, if you need some ocx(.dll) from mx components in your app and you do not want to install all mx components on client machine you need to extract yours .dll's and one special .dll. The name of special .dll is ActDNaviClient.dll. When is special .dll are in the same folder with yours .dll's you will be able to register yours .dll. After that your app will start normally. Once again thanks for every help in this topic!!! P.S. You can register your dll's from system32 or from syswow64, it does not matter from which folder register. Edited by iztok

Great that you got it working, currently on holiday so can't test but I'm sure it works