Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
synchro

Sysmac Studio Questions!

2 posts in this topic

Hi all, I've just started using Sysmac Studio for an NJ project after using CX-Programmer for many years. I'm finding Studio has a lot of failings compared to CX, not impressed so far: Can Studio to SFC? I can't seem to find the option, I thought it was fully IEC 61131-3 compliant? When opening files in CX it will open at the last point the program was edited at. Studio seems to open with all windiws closed. Using View/Recently closed windows option is a pain! Why can't Studio do this? CX ladder edi, I can just Ctrl dow arrow to create a parallel rung to add an instruction. Studio I have to right click to create a parallel path, with only an output as an option! If i want a MOVE for example I have to add that, and then delete the unwanted output? Ladder doesn't align rungs to the same length or create a new rung autmatically when I press enter on the previous rung? I find it powerful in some areas, but it seems slower to develop code on! And I can't force internal variables! Is it just me or are there solutions to these failings I haven't found yet? Rant over..

No, Sysmac Studio does not do SFC. But it is compliant with the IEC61131-3 standard. It meets all the standards and has been certified by PLCOpen for both Ladder and Structured Text. Not having SFC does not make it not compliant. The standard does not say all 5 languages must be present, just that the ones which are present must be compliant. It's not CX-Programmer and it never will be. It's a completely new platform, and some things didn't get done the same as the old platform. As for inserting function blocks, click and drag to draw a line and when you release the cursor a menu pops up asking what to insert, and both functions and function blocks are on that list. True, ladder rungs do not automatically align the right edge. And keyboarc shortcut for a new rung is R, so I don't think its a major deal that a new rung doesnt happen automatically after you hit enter. Also true on the forcing. Force is for physical I/O only. This is similar to several other PLCs, including Mitsubishi. I've been using it for 2 and a half years, and I find that the level of integration that has been achieved in Sysmac Studio and the NJ with the motion, safety, and HMI all in the same project is far more advanced than many PLCs I've worked with in the last 18 years. It's different, and many CX-Programmer users are not impressed. But those who have used other IEC software like Mitsubishi or RSLogix5000 find it easy to use.