Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bradley Shroyer

Copy HMI Tag value to parameter

3 posts in this topic

Is there any way to copy the value of an HMI tag to a parameter (FactoryTalk View ME 8). I am looking at doing something like: #100 = HMITag1 value I get #100 = HMITag1 name when I try anything meaningful. For example, if I have HMITag1 = test. I want to get #100 to equal "test", but I keep getting #100 is equal to "HMITag1". A little more background in case there is a better way of doing this. I have several components (pieces of equipment) that are the same. Each has its own program on the PLC that includes a group of tags for the component's settings. Most components use the same settings by copying tags from the controller level to the tags at the program level. A couple components need special settings. I have one HMI screen that each component will display for settings. A parameter file for each component will be used to display the settings from the proper Program. The parameter files have a tag for the program name (#100 = Program:ComponentX). On the HMI components I have {::[PLC]#100TestVar1}. This works great when #100 is a program name (the special cases). I was trying to get #100 to equal a blank so the object would access the controller level tag so any changes to the global versions would be across the board. I thought I could create an HMI string tag equal with no value to accomplish this. I just can't get #100 to equal a null string. Edited by Bradley Shroyer

Can you use: #100 = [PLC] and #100 = [PLC]Program:ComponentX.

That was my fallback plan. I was hoping to keep the controller separated from the programs because some systems might have a PLC for each component. I was trying to make this as modular as possible. Maybe I went too far? Thanks for your time. Edited by Bradley Shroyer