Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ballen22

Stepper Motor Driver question

10 posts in this topic

Hello All, Im a newbie and was wondering if you could help me out with a question I have regarding stepper motor drivers. Im having trouble locating a stepper motor driver that takes a 24 volt signal for pulse and direction. I have found a bunch of stepper motor drivers but they use a 5 volt input or its not stated. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks

I do not know the size of driver you need, but here is one: http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motion_Control/Stepper_Systems/Stepper_Drives_-z-_Power/STP-DRV-6575

I had a stepper motor being driven with a controllogix relay output card. I'd have to play around a bit to recall how it was done but it essentially drove each winding as required to move thru the steps and advance a knife. Worked very well.

Thanks! I was looking for a step and direction though.

interfacing various pieces of equipment is a key part of job for anyone involved in automation. surely there are other models but also 24V could be stepped down. are the inputs optoisolated or not? what products (part numbers, manuals?)

You're correct, I can step it down. Im having similiar trouble trying to find a 24 volt to 5 volt high speed relay. I can only find solid state relays that can operate at 1 Khz max. I need at least 8 Khz or my stepper motor will move like a slug. Any ideas on some 24 volt to 5 volt high speed relays?

What size is the stepper motor? The stepper drive I posted above is rated for 24 volt Step/Direction inputs if you check the datasheet...

yes, some SSR may be slow, but here we are only switching signal, not power, there is no need for slow SSR. optocouplers can operate way faster than few meager kHz you need. or maybe no relays at all (how about two resistors?). choice depends on what you really have there. it would be easier if you actually answered questions... PhoenixContact makes signal relays that work in 100kHz range (DEK-OE...) etc. http://pdf2.datasheet.su/phoenix%20contact/2964364.pdf then there is a DEK-TR/INV which is actually meant to convert polarity PNP/NPN but in emergencies can be convinced to do other things too.

That signal relay is exactly what i need! Thank you

you are welcome