BJR

cip motion with torque reading

4 posts in this topic

I have not found an example here. I read through the manual that shows all of the variables to read/write. At least three of them sounded related to what I want but not sure if any are correct. I am going to do simple position/velocity moves to different angles. The knob I am turning will be directly coupled to the motor shaft since only hand torque is required to move it. Compact logic with kinetix 350. One of the final moves is to a detented position that I want to attempt to "feel" by reading the torque. How do I monitor the torque and stop when I reach a detentented position that requires a lot more torque to go past? I know I have heard of people doing something like this to press a bearing or a seal in but maybe that was not in position/velocity mode... Ideas or examples?

In the servo parameter settings select the "Drive Parameters" category. This let's you set up information that is communicated between the drive and the PLC. Check "CurrentFeedback". That value is essentially the torque feedback, and the best value you can use. From the AB motion reference manual for the Kinetix 350 (motion-rm003) page 194: "in general it is assumed that 100% rated current produces 100% rated torque"

Thanks for the quick response. I plan to use that feedback in a comparison during the move to issue a stop command also being aware of my position if needed.

Once you select the CurrentFeedback, you can monitor that in your PLC program. So you'd command a jog or a move and issue a stop command if/when the current/torque exceeds some value. Alternatively, you could switch the drive into torque mode for that move. That's more complicated, but may be appropriately depending on what you're trying to do.