Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Superdave

Allen Bradley Network

2 posts in this topic

I am in the planning stages of a project. I guess a little background would help. At my plant we have a water treatment facility that is being controlled by an AB 5/80E processor and use controlnet to talk to 5 other remote nodes. It uses Wonderware. We also have two seperate water anaylsis buildings that use a National Instrument PLC and Lookout HMI for data aquisition. My project is to tie these three location together on one AB network. This network would also have to have the ability to interface with our DCS through modbus. Not all of the water treatment plant info would need to be transferred to the DCS. My initial plans were to change the NI PLC out to AB SLC's and buy Two more Wonderware licenses. This would be ok but I was wondering if I could possible to replace the NIs with remote I/O(48 analog IN and 16 DIG IN required for each building) and form a AB network with only the 5/80E processor and the other nodes. Any suggestions or tips would be great!

You could use remote I/O for this, I believe the 5/80 supports upto 32 racks, you'll have to check on that. However, I do not think that is the best option. Since cost does not seem to be your primary concern, I would use the following. Use SLC 5/05's for the two buildings, If you want you can then set up an AB ethernet network (best speed). Buy a prosoft card for the 5/80, use messages instructions to get data from the SLC's, then pass on to the DCS via the prosoft card. A more redundant system would be to have a seperate modbus card for the 5/80 and the SLC's, all connected to the DCS, then if anyone system failed, the other two would still be in contact with the DCS. The last option would be the most costly, but would be a little more robust. Ken