chantecler

S5 to an AB plc - hardware question

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I've been asked to migrate an application from a Siemens S5 to an AB plc. The hardware is not demanding: 6 x 8DI (24Vdc), 4 x 8DO(24Vdc) and no HMI. Although I am not a Siemens expert I have the capacity and the tools to upload the program, analyze it and write an AB working copy of it. I would like to know your opinions about the convenience of using a CompactLogix, a SLC500 or a Micrologix. I am not considering a CLX for cost reasons and the application does not justify the use of such a powerful plc. For me CompactLogix would be the way to go but I've been doing several micrologix projects for that client and now he has a considerable base of mlx 1100, 1200 and 1400 installed in his factory, besides he also likes the idea of using the same programming software for all his plcs. SLC500 would be the natural replacement for the S5 I guess, but I am afraid it will shortly find the same end as the S5 and AB terminate the manufacturing of it. A Micrologix could do it, it's just that I would like to use a plc with no embedded I/O on the cpu (just a preference, not a strong reason). Thank you

If cost is not an issue, the CompactLogix would be my choice. The programming software is powerful and has a lot of great features. However both the hardware and software are significantly more expensive than the MicroLogix solution. The MicroLogix is a great little PLC though, particularly the 1100 and 1400 which have built-in Ethernet. The SLC500 is still being manufactured and no end date has been announced, but since it uses the same software as the MicroLogix and is more expensive, I wouldn't use it for a new application.

Jeremy has guided in the right direction so I'll just address the Micrologix's embedded I/O since it will impact your selection due to your I/O count. You need 48 inputs and 32 outputs. Using 16 point I/O that would require 5 slots. The Micrologix 1100 is capable of 4 slots and the Micrologix 1400 is capable of 7 slots. So without using the embedded I/O the Micrologix 1400 would fit your application. Using the embedded I/O you could save yourself at least one input module. As far as using the embedded I/O, the pitfall of many brick controllers including 1100 is that it doesn't have removable terminal blocks for ease of replacement. However the 1400 which fits your application does have removable terminal blocks so changing the controller out later on would be easy.

With the availability and low cost of the 1769-L16* and 1769-L18* brick style processors with embedded I/O (expandable), I've kissed Micrologix and SLCs goodbye. Except for maybe the 1400, that thing has got a lot of nice features.

I almost completely agree with you I love the 1769 bricks, but the major thing that keeps me from recommending it more is the lack of a way for beginners to get their feet wet in the software. Just like the free software for the Micrologix 1000 and 1100 leads people to the 1400, offering software the the 1769 bricks would introduce a good audience the the larger Compactlogix and Controllogix. They used to have a 90 day version but even it was offline only and I'm not seeing it now. Plus not giving the user the opportunity to get comfortable with the PLC kind of defeats the purpose.

Thank you guys, I am going to offer my client a CompactLogix solution. Bye