sappleto

CONTROLLOGIX 1756-L61S DO NOT HAVE PASSWORD - IS THERE A FIX?

5 posts in this topic

Several years ago before I arrived at my company, an integrator came in to do the automation on our system. They used a Controllogix 1756-L61S for the safety portion of the project. Apparently, when they completed the job they did not provide the source code with comments, safety password, etc. for anything and it got ugly between our company and theirs. In other words, they would not provide it if we went back to ask them. Allen Bradley has told us that we can not make any alterations now to the safety logic because we do not have the password that was used to create it. And they said there is no longer a master password that you could use like in previous controllers. Does anybody know of any workarounds for this? Or have heard of anything that might possibly work?

Hi Sappleto We don't allow discussing password workarounds here. Your best option will be to try to work it out somehow with the other company.

Its called "Money". Offer it to the other company, swallow your pride.

That's a tough situation. In the future, when you have an integrator do work for you, make sure in the contract or quote that you get the source code and password. I am in the camp that when I do work for someone, I always felt it was YOUR property when I was done, not mine. But in some cases, if it's an OEM machine, then I guess I can understand that but it does a pickle for some good folks like yourself. Password cracking is not a good subject here, because software is legal property is why we have to be careful. We don't want anyone getting in trouble.

We could discuss it until we're blue in the face, and it wouldn't help. There's no backdoor or workaround other than brute-force decryption.