7 posts in this topic

I am looking for some sort of rotary input device which could be used for fine adjustment. Ideally it would have to two output pins, if turned clockwise it would send pulses on one of the pins and when turned counterclockwise it would sent pulses on the other pin. These could be connected to two inputs on PLC and a value in a given variable could be incremented and decremented depending on the direction of rotation. Almost like using potentiometer with analog signal. I guess if I can not find anything I could use incremental encoder and look at the phase of the output to decide which way it is being turned but hopefully simpler and maybe more cost effective solution is out there? Thanks.

Something like these?? http://www.cui.com/product-spotlight/panel-mount-encoders-c14-and-acz-series/

Yes, something like that but hopefully running on 24VDC. I was not planning to add 5VDC power supply to the enclosure.

I haven't seen anything simialr that is 24vdc. Encoders tend to be TTL output and that may also present a problem with connecting to your PLC

You could use an absolute or grey scale encoder withb Modbus comms or the like. I have used them before but they are not inexpensive. You would read numbers in integer form.

I know cost comes into this (unless there is one already) but what about an hmi?

Not sure how you are hooked up, but maybe a simple 3 way selector switch with attached contact blocks set at NO and upon select triggers the signal to the PLC. 1 Contact would send the signal 1 way while the other contact another. It will also send signal to counter. The center position would be off to both on a 3 way buy a 2 way would be one or the other always.