Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tpoirier

Creating a HTML based HMI: Read/Write values to PLC

2 posts in this topic

Hi all, So this is more of a theory / how would you attack this problem, question: I'm creating my first HMI and while playing around in FactoryTalk View Studio I noticed I can add objects to a screen. I can add a browser and with some work I can get it to display an HMTL file directly in the screen. So the browser in this case is opening a file stored locally, not something served up from the internet. Which opens up the question, could I write most of my HMI in HTML and Javascript? As a previous developer having the ability to control more of the UI would be amazing and perhaps easier to use/maintain. The only pitfall that I haven't been able to figure out is how to get real time values from the PLC. I'd welcome anyone's input on the idea in general or if someone knows a good method for getting/setting values from the PLC. Thanks!

This product here is exactly what you're looking for. You design the HMI using HTML5. It's also 100% free for small projects. I've never used it, and wouldn't recommend it for any sort of implementation that needs to be worked on by maintenance personnel, as it would be too complex. It supports OPC, so you can use RSLinx, Kepserver, etc to communicate with the PLC. It also natively supports Modbus and BACnet to communicate directly with PLCs/Devices. http://www.controlsystemworks.com/ Edited by MrAutomation