Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shiner

RS5000

3 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am trying to get around a lot of manual inputting by exporting a routine and opening it using excel, but looking at the file that excel shows I have a couple fundamental questions 1. when excel opens it and "creates a schema', can I save this in a format that will allow me to import it back into the program? 2. Since I am mapping data using add on instructions, the table excel has created becomes quote complex, with no clear point of reference to where my Input tags are going to go. We are doing this because someone thought it would be a good idea to put a SCADA based control platform over the top of an AB control system, so we have to exchange thousands of points of data back and forth with their system. I created the mapping AOI blocks to be able to manage the file structure a little better in the routines, but that still leaves me with copy and paste thousands of tags into the AOIs. Has anyone developed a good way to create logic, or modify logic using excel? While I can hold my own with utilizing the RS5000 platform, my excel experience is limited. The processor is a 1756-L75 Thanks

First of all, don't use Excel to edit XML. it's kind of like using a table saw to pound in a nail. Totally wrong tool. Use any decent code editor that handles XML nicely. The visual studio editor can do that, but I prefer by a longshot a real source editor like Ultraedit, which can handle anything imaginable. Your problem is that the XML exports are just plain decorated text. Excel isn't designed to handle text. Using a real editor, yes, it isn't a big deal to do search/replace operations on a section or entire file, or copy code multiple times. Ultraedit also allows me to write scripting programs to automate a lot of the functionality of extracting tags from Logix 5000 programs and creating importable tags to FTView.

Just my two cents, I've found exporting and importing a L5K and opening the L5K as a delimited file with Excel works quite nice. You can even craft VBA modules to write new code based on old exported code. Mass Search and Replace also is handy. I'd try exporting your base project as an L5K and the opening it from excel. This may be closer to what you're looking for,