Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drusso

PanelView Plus 6 Log Off

8 posts in this topic

We have a panelview plus 6 to a micrologix 1400. Looking to log off the user after 15 minutes if there is no screen activity but only if the machine is in manual mode. We have used the auto log out built into the panelview but this time we only want to log out the user if the machine is not in auto mode. Is there a pratical way to monitor the screen for touch without monitoring every pushbtton on every screen thru the plc code? thanks, dave Edited by drusso

Hopefully someone comes up with a better answer than mine. I've never found a good way to do this on a Panelview. I usually just monitor the display that I'm on using global connections. If it doesn't change for 15 minutes (or whatever), then I log the user out. It's not perfect, but it is simple. You just have to make sure to give every display a unique number.

Jeremy, The only issue is when an operator is using push buttons within the same screen. All screens have unique #'s. There is an "idle detect" active x for the SE version but not the ME version. thanks for the suggestion, dave

You can create a Macro and push the user logged into to a PLC string variable. Then in the PLC you can have logic to monitor who is logged in for time in Manual Mode and trigger another Macro to run to auto-logout. I believe the FTView ME & SE features for this are very similar, and we have been doing this in SE.

Sparky, They only want the log out in "manual mode" if there is no screen activity, push buttons depressed or settings changed. The user can stay loged on in manual as long as he touches the screen before the time out of 15 minutes. thanks, dave

I don't think you can do this & use the PanelView security. You can use the auto-logout feature to change displays after 15 minutes of inactivity when in manual mode; & do nothing when in auto mode. But it would always log out the PanelView user. You would use the auto-logout to open a pop-up display (100x100 and off screen at x -100 y 100). That pop-up display can run a startup macro which could check for manual/auto. Based on that the macro could use the Remote Display Number feature to change the main replace screen to the real Login screen. Or do nothing if in auto.The problem with that idea is that it will log out the current user (PanelView FactoryTalk) after 15 minutes, just to run the popup and macro. So you would have to use some other method for users/security. Edited by Arlen Jacobs

Arlen has a good point about using FactoryTalk security. I often avoid using it anyway, as I find PLC-based user security to be more flexible. You'll have to renumber all your screens. They default to 1 when you create them, or if you duplicate a screen are copied across. On the systems that I did with auto-logout, the user changed screen regularly enough that monitoring screen changes was adequate. But if you system has a master screen that the user doesn't leave very often (especially with a 15 minute timeout) then you'll definitely need to monitor button pushes as well, even if it's only for one or two master screens. I don't know if the application is fully developed yet, but if you have all your HMI buttons grouped together, you can use compare instructions to monitor a bunch of bits at once. For example, if you're using B3:0/0 through B3:0/15, then just use "NEQ B3:0 0" to reset the timer.

Good morning!

I agree,  I hate using the PV security and am using a "security" PLC that just runs code for the user information. I am doing this as I have multiple systems which are all linked to the same HMI.  I have a USB RFID reader attached to the HMI which reads into a tag in the security PLC. My program then sets the visibility of items on the screen according to what user is logged in. The programming is not super complex but is much easier to use than the PV security. As far as "knowing" whether a user is making changes, I am using a simple bit of code to monitor when a user moves between screens. I have a tag called out in the PV global connections, display tab, which I query in my PLC code. See attached. This tag is entered in the field "ReplaceDisplayNumber" which is actually what display is currently in use (not intuitive). The PLC code monitors if there is a change to the screen number. To use this, each screen must have a unique number at design as has been previously discussed by JRoss.

PV Code Snippet.pdf

Edited by Gilligan