Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
asteroidehk

Remote access to ML1400 to monitor and control?

10 posts in this topic

Hello friends I have a water level control, with ML1400 and PanelView1000 through Ethernet. I need to monitor and control this simple machine from home o from everywhere. In another project I used a "local PC" in the plant with a LabVIEW application and NIOPCServers, then from home with my Laptop I get connected to the "local PC" and I could monitor and control the project. Is it possible to do the same, without a "local PC"? What do you recommend? Is there another option? Could I use another OPC and Software ? Thanks in advance.

Are you talking get online with the PLC and make changes, or interact with the machine like a remote HMI?

Interact with the machine like a remote HMI. Is it possible? (Without a "local PC" in the plant) Thanks

Is there a plant network that you can connect to with VPN? The first hurdle is to get a remote link to the PLC. Once you have that, there are a number of options. Maybe something like Advanced HMI (http://advancedhmi.com/) would be a good place to start because it's free.

Great¡¡¡ I have talked with the IT person, and He can give a link through OpenVPN. I will do trials with AdvancedHMI. What another options can I use? This is not for Me, is for the production manager, so He wants the simplest way to access. Maybe through a Webpage or TeamViewer and if is possible the most similar to the actual HMI appearance. Thanks again

Simple to put together, or simple to use? If it's for the production manager, I'm guessing simplest to use. You're a little limited by the age of your HMI, but you could replace the HMI with one that has Ethernet and a webserver. For example the Red Lion G3 series lets you enable a built-in webserver. Then once you're connected to the VPN you can put the IP address of the HMI into a web browser and see the exact same thing that appears on the HMI. Enable another option and you can control it as well. This would require converting the application by hand. If you only have a couple of screens, that's not too bad, but if it's a large project it's something to consider. On the other hand, you'd be upgrading an obsolete HMI with current technology, so it would have a dual purpose.

Yes could not agree more. Using Open VPN I setup a remote monitored site last year...and it is very remote, with very limited 3G coverage. However the Red Lion G3 panel is brilliant, sends SMS and email, also a weekly email of plant data (it is installed in a water treatment plant). Also have full access to the PLC, which enabled me to reload the program into the PLC on Christmas Eve last year due to a lightening strike. So good in fact that is the only type of HMI I will use on future projects. You can't go wrong (and know I don't work for Red Lion!)

Hello¡¡ Thanks for your comments, but I think to change the HMI is very expensive. I have rechecked the actual HMI, it is a 2711P-T10C4D8 Ser A with a Logic Module 2711P-RP8D Ser A. According with the user manual, it has web server. But, If I put the HMI IP in my laptop, I only watch 2 folders. Web Server works different in AB? Or how can I use this option? Thanks again.

I second the AdvancedHMI option. I was able to monitor a machine using my iphone. I didn't include any controls, but I suppose that you could.

I've used ProSoft i-View with the MicroLogix 1400, and it works pretty well. You can find it on the Apple App Store. Edited by y2kmfic