Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baric1007

How to conect RSLogix5000 to 1756 PLC via network

3 posts in this topic

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, hope I will be able to get some answers on this forum. I'm wotking on maintanance for machines under productiona and I would like to conect one machine to my work PC. But when I try to setup conection with RSLinx, RSLinx don't see my PLC. Problem is that my PC is on network with IP addresses 192.168.8.XXX and machine is on 192.168.0.1 IP address and between is cisco RV180 routher which is set to have LAN address 192.168.8.168 (company network), and WAN is set as 192.168.0.200 (subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.201, dns 192.168.0.202). When I conect directly 1756 ENBT/A card to my laptop (laptop is set to same range of IP addresses) I can see PLC and everything is working but this way is not practical for me. Is there any way to conect my office PC to PLC, some settings in RSLinx Clasic? Any idea would be helpful. I attached simplified network drawing for easyer understanding. network.pdf Thank you for your time and help, best regards, baric1007

The router will not pass through the broadcast packets used by the EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx. Instead, use the Ethernet Devices driver and put in the actual IP address of the target ControlLogix 1756-ENBT module. As long as the router is configured to allow access from the LAN to the WAN (it should) and the 1756-ENBT knows the gateway address of the router on the WAN side (192.168.0.201), you should be able to connect. Also: In general I try hard not to make my automation device the "xxx.xxx.xxx.1" device on the network since so many other devices assume that's the default gateway.

Ken Roach makes very good points about RSLinx not passing broadcast packets and planning IP addresses of a control network. Another good tool is to consider a managed Ethernet switch that supports Network Address Translation (NAT). Your Cisco #RV180 managed Ethernet switch supports NAT. With NAT, you can give a PLC with an Ethernet/IP address that cannot be routed through your company network an address that can be accessed through your company network. With NAT configurations, it is suggested to put forethought into planning a control network. Connecting many PLCs with the same typical 192.168.1.1 default addresses on the same network can have the end result of intermittent communication problems between devices, such as Ethernet remote I/O. I encourage you to design your network, piece by piece, and document the architecture.