Neosec

New to PLCs, looking for advice...

12 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm considering building an automated machine and started a thread about the project over at CNC ZONE because I thought I might be able to do the motion control (relatively) inexpensively using Mach3 and a Stepper kit from ebay. Here's a link to the thread if your interested. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/general-cnc-machine-related-electronics/264180-cnc-software.html From my last post... Some of the members over there suggested PLCs might be the way to go, and most recently using both PLCs and CNC. I'm ignorant enough about PLCs (and CNC for that matter) that I don't know where to start or what questions to ask. One thing I've noticed is that getting all the PLC modules and the software looks to be pricey. I would appreciate any input that the community here can provide. Thanks Neo

In terms of capability, a PLC would easily handle the application. Since you're a hobbiest, I'd guess you want to keep costs low. PLCs are designed for industrial ruggedness, and don't come cheaply, especially once you get into the motion control world. However, I did recently learn about a PLC, the Velocio Ace, that would be perfect for you to try. I haven't used it yet, so I don't have any experience with it, but it's small, cheap, free software, can do high-speed stepper outputs with any or all of it's outputs, etc. It pretty much sounds like exactly what I would look for in your shoes. Check it out, and if you decide to try it, let us (me!) know how it works out for you!

It depends what you require. If only pulse in - pulse out some of the Omron CP1 series have this avaibale with quite a few I/O as well. If you need real motion you are up for big bucks! For real motion I would be looking at the Omron NJ PLC with EtherCat comms to other devices - speed demon that nework and designed for motion http://www.ethercat.org/default.htm

Thanks for your input. The Velocio products look interesting, mostly because of the free software and cheaper price point. The Omron looks good too, but I haven't looked into the software for programming it yet.

I haven't used Omron, but I've been hearing good things about them. But the software isn't free, so that will likely play a bug role in your decision. Compared to commercial programs like Office, automation software often seems exorbitantly high.

Software for Omron is about $2500 AU - cheap in my view. It covers everything and there are no annual fees in Auistralia at least - just free updates on the web. I have found all free software I have used clunky and hard to use and not a lot of features but I can say the same for some very expensive PLC software as well with exhorbitant annual support fees. For example Red Lion screen software is really clunky - even the lates version. I find the Omron NB screen software clunky but it is free. Schneider clunky. Shall not bother with any others - you get the idea. I either make or lose money on a job writing software - I want software that ensures I make money! It is worth the investment.

Well, that rules out Omron. This is just a hobby level project and is quite small at that. There's no factory and no employees and no net profits, so there's no no way I'll be spending thousands on software. I'm wanting to build the entire machine for less than $1,000. I could do the job of the PLCs with an Arduino or PIC µ-controller, but I've built enough of those sort of projects to know that they become junk when I don't feel like supporting it any more; because no one can. That sort of a build is too proprietary. I'd like to build my first machine that uses COTS parts and can therefore be serviced by others; and therefore saleable/transferable.

Yes, the cost to benefit ratio is much different when having a particular software package is your livelihood. I'd be interested to know how the Velocio works out for you.

I ordered an ACE11 to evaluate. We'll see how it goes.

Just an update. I've purchased 3 nema 23 stepper motors w/ power supply and stepper motor drivers. The ACE11 runs a motor just fine and is easy to program. I suspect I'll use Mach 3 also but it's too early to tell. Rumor has it that the ACE22 and above will get a firmware update to run 3 motors at the same time. My ACE 11 only runs one. I've also ordered linear rails and drive parts. in the coming months I hope to get a machine working. Thanks for everyone's input.

Hello all, first of all, thanks for posting this info here. you brought 3 nema 23 stepper motors w/ power supply and stepper motor drivers, right? I also have.but not fully satisfied Edited by apeppodded

In case you are looking for other alternatives, should the Velocio unit not be sufficient, you may want to consider Tri-PLC. Much will depend upon the number of I/O and type you will require as to which configuration will be best suited for your machine. Also, if you are looking to do any networking, these units come standard with an Ethernet port. Price point is less expensive than Omron and a little more expensive than Velocio, but there are additional features available. More information can be found at our web site - http://www.eternity-sales.com/tri-plc/tri-plc.htm Disclosure, ESI is an authorized distributor.