Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ben

Ethernet Communication fault bits

14 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, I have CJ2M-CPU35 connected to couple of devices over ethernet IP. I would like to know which bits in CIO area (25 words for built-in E.Net port starting at 1500) gives me the status of Individual nodes (i.e. connected or not connected) Tried to go through W465 but there is a lot of information and I'm getting confused with built-in port, additional E.net IP units, Fins TCP, Fins UDP etc.

If they are other Omron PLCs then there are bits for online, program mode and the like. I do not know if there are bits for other devices as I have only used PLCs on Ethernet IP. I prefer CompoNet for remote I/O.

Below is what I used to detect registered but offline EIP nodes. It gives you 64 true connection failure bits in W501 - W504 CIO words are for unit #0, for unit #1 you would use 15xx + 25 words.

Thank you Propeller head! I was confused with the terminology in W465 like Unit status, Communication Status, Connection status etc. which are also part of 25 word block assigned to internal EIP port. I wanted to add some screenshots from W465 explaining the bit status in Omron Lingo but it does not allow me to add screenshots. Anyway, the code is pretty straight forward. The exclusive OR makes sure that when the node is registered and connetion status is low, the O/P bit turns on. Edited by Ben

Oh, One more thing, this is for node address 0-63, which is the last octate of the IP address. For 64-255 node addresses, allocated CIO area has to be set to user settings. See section 4-4 of W465 for more details.

Yes, true. Forgot to mention this!

So, finally I have a temp setup on my desk with CJ2H CPU64-EIP (192.168.0.10) connected with an IFM RFID reader DTE102 (192.168.0.59) on EthernetIP. I have done the network configuration and I see that the communication is working. The LED's are flickering with right colors and I do see some bits back and forth. I used the logic mentioned above, but don't really see any change in any registers 1516-1523. All bits remain 0. I actually changed the node address to 59(from 79) so thatit falls within 0-63 node area but nada.. Some general fauls are visible in CIO 1510-1512 bytes, but I am interested in node specific error. Any further suggestion?

Anyone idea?

1516-1523 should indicate registered nodes. If zeros, these nodes are not registered for communication in the unit. Is the unit the connection originator? Is the unit #0? Was it restarted after the last download? Is the mentioned node address 59 decimal or hex? If hex, it is out of the 4-word range. Edited by Sergei Troizky

What do you see in 1520-1523? (connected nodes)

Thanks for the reply Sergey and Pdl. Sorry, Couldn't check the messages for past few days. And now I don't have temp setup However, I would like to understand following. Since this is the first time I'm doing Ethernet IP on Omron, I would reapply appreciate if you can throw some light on few basic question. -1516-1523 should indicate registered nodes. If zeros, these nodes are not registered for communication in the unit. > I saw all zeros. How do I register a node? I thought it is done by network configuration download to PLC. What else needs to be done? -Is the unit the connection originator? Is the unit #0? > I am not sure if I understand the question correctly. The PLC is set as originator & "Exclusive Owner". I thought the node address is unit # which for CPU is 10 and RFID is 59 (i.e. 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.59). Where can I see/set the unit#? -Was it restarted after the last download? > No, I didn't. is this expected after every network configuration download? -Is the mentioned node address 59 decimal or hex? If hex, it is out of the 4-word range. > I think it is decimal. This is set by clicking on device in network configuration and pressing "Change Nore address". This give a pop-up where IP address is set, i.e. 192.168.0.59!

If you configured a tag set between the the CPU and another device, the originator should be registered in the target automatically. Unit number is the number you set with the "unit no" rotary switch on the CPU (mind this is not the node adress rotary switch). Yes you need to restart the EIP unit after every network configuration update but usually it will prompt for this after download. If the IP adress is 59 decimal, this means you have set the node adress rotary switches on the unit to 3B correct? I have a perfect quickstart for Ethernet IP from Omron by unfortunately is is completely in Dutch I tried to look something similar for you as I know grasping a 700+ page manual from Omron can be a bit overwhelming. I did found the following articles on MyOmron: http://www.myomron.com/index.php?action=kb&article=1321 http://www.myomron.com/index.php?action=kb&article=1416 They both cover date exchange between two Omron CPU's but the principle should be similar. Perhaps you can post your Network configurator file so we can have a look? Also post the EDS file of your third party devices..

OK Gentlemen, I had another chance to connect the same PLC with a different device on Ethernet IP. And it works! The node address this time is 15 and I see that last bit on 1516 and 1520 is ON. Thank you so much. PS : Does the PLC have to be node 0 (curretly it is)? What is the significance of that question?

Glad it worked! Don't confuse the node number, which is set using rotary switches x160 and x161, and has to match the last octect of the IP adress in HEX set in the IO table settings, with the unit no, which is a unique bus adress number (should you have multiple communication units attached to the CPU, you would all give them a unique unit no.). The unit no doesn't have to be 0, it can be any number. However the location of the status area is different for another unit no. You can calculate the base word of the status area as following: CIO 1500+n (n = unit no x 25). So for unit #0, it's 1500, for unit #1, it's 1525, etc.