Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AJAJ

Remote I/O module not connecting

8 posts in this topic

Currently we have a remote I/O module to connect with our PLC, yet it's not showing up whenever we try to connect it via inside RS logix 5000.

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the information provided.... What PLC? What network/fieldbus? What module? What have you tried?

PLC- Compact Logix Network- Ethernet Module- 1756-RIO but there is an RIO Red constant light, and a CLX flashing red light.

The module won't show up automatically. You have to add it to the hardware configuration in RS Logix 5000. Right-click on the backplane and select new module.

Wait... why are you trying to use a 1756-RIO with a CompactLogix in the first place ? You cannot just post "there is a flashing red light" when there are multiple indicator LEDs on the device. Why should I spend my time trying to guess which LED you mean ? Post details, and you can get some help.

Thanks Ken, didn't even notice the part discrepancy. I suspect the OP means a ControlLogix. But back to my original point. The forum is like computers... Garbage In, Garbage Out

I think that you can make an EtherNet/IP connection from a CompactLogix to a 1756-ENBT/EN2T and then to a 1756-RIO. It's the sort of thing I would expect from a user attempting to shoehorn a CompactLogix into an application that is more appropriate for a ControlLogix so they can save some money on hardware. But I don't know what the red flashing light on the CompactLogix is. Broken I/O connections usually just result in a blinking green Network Status LED, though if you configure a connection failure to fault the CPU that might generate a flashing red OK LED. If the OP comes back with usable information, we might be able to help. I did a big 1756-RIO application four years ago and was one of the first users in my area to use it for more than demos.

I've only used the DHRIO card. It was right around the time the RIO card came out. We had problems with the speed of the network, so much so that I think the integrator I was working for went back and put in the RIO card once it was available.