Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ritzspeed

Require suggestion selecting a PLC

13 posts in this topic

My system has 11 analog inputs, 6 analog outputs. 10 digital inputs and 13 digital outputs. Which Allen Bradley will be best at lowest of cost for my system? Can I use Micrologix 1000?

A Micrologix 1000 won't work because you can't put expansion modules on it. You could squeeze that into a Micrologix 1400. The main factor that will matter to you in this selection is the 1400 can have 7 expansion modules. Micrologix 1400 base 20 digital inputs Micrologix 1400 base 12 digital outputs 2 each of a 1762-IF4 4 analog inputs each 1 each of a 1762-OF4 4 analog inputs each 1 each of a 1762-IF2OF2 2 analog inputs and 2 analog outputs each 1 each of a 1762-OW16 16 relay outputs each We have many of these products here http://www.theautomationstore.com/allen-bradley-1/

I think you are biting off more than the ML 1000 should be chewing on. You could just get by doing this with expansion space using the ML 1100. But honestly If it were me and I wanted to use a Micrologix for this application I would use the 1400. Here is the link to the micrologix selection guide. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/sg/1761-sg001_-en-p.pdf Also you may want to look at Spectrum Controls for your Analog Expansion Modules they make 8 point Universal Expansion for the Micrologix. The Input Module is 1762sc-IF8u The Output Module is 1762sc-OF8 BCS

Thank you both of you. Thank you very much.

It may be slightly more expensive, but you could also use: - 1x 1769-L16ER-BB1B (compact logix with digital in, digital out, ethernet, onboard power supply) - 2x 1734-IE8C (analog in expansion card) - 2x 1734-OE4C (analog out expansion card) - 4x 1734-TOPS (terminal base for the expansion cards) That would give you 16 digital in, 16 digital out, 16 analog in, 8 analog out. Note that you then use the Logix5000 platform to program it, not the Logix500 platform. So if you don't have that software, it'd be much more expensive - but if you do have it, you could probably save enough time on the programming to offset the slightly more expensive hardware. Also, a note - those analog cards are 4-20mA ONLY. If you need 0-10V analog, you'd have to use something different

Thank You very much ASForrest. I do have RSLogix 5000 v17 90 days Trial version and honestly I am comfortable with RSLogix 5000. This is my first automation project and I've never programmed MicroLogix PLC. The institute I learnt PLC programming from, they have Control Logix and RSLogix 5000. I'll consider your suggestion. Thanks again.

The 1769-L16ER-BB1B needs at least RSLogix5000 version 20.

This is correct - you will need at least version 20. But if you're only on a trial version you'd presumably have to be buying a paid version at some point anyway. And if you're comfortable with RSLogix 5000, and never used RSLogix 500, then I'd suggest it will definitely be worth the extra hardware cost, you will save the money back in hours for sure.

Which PLC and expansion modules will suit best for my requirements if I only have the RSLogix 5000 v17?

Just get V20 or later. There's no reason to stay on V17, since you're on trial anyways. It doesn't make any sense. If you purchase a license, it works for all versions. Edited by MrAutomation

Agreed. If you only have v17, there are no cheap options. v17 doesn't support any of the new controllers with onboard I/O, so you have to buy CPU, power supply, and then I/O, and it adds up very fast. No matter what hardware you buy, you're going to need new software - either RSLogix 500, or a newer version of RSLogix 5000. So if you have to buy new software anyway, go with what you already know. Plus, RSlogix 5000 is the future of AB PLC's, RSLogix 500 won't see a lot more development from this point I don't think.

Thanks guys. Let's suppose I got the setup one suggested by ASF, now I want to log the data from PLC to my computer, do I require to make a SCADA in RSView32 or FactoryTalk view? Are there any ways other than these two?

There are a great many different options, but you'll need to be a bit more specific about what sort of data you want to log, how you want to be able to view it, how long you need it stored for, etc :)