Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PendantAutomation

Motoman Support

3 posts in this topic

I have a project that currently has a PC using C++ to send commands over to a Motoman Robot for palletizing. My customer wants to get rid of the PC since no one on the plant floor can troubleshoot if the PC goes down. They're asking that I put a PLC in in lieu of the PC, and control from there. The PLC and respective code is no problem, where I'm stuck is gathering info on what protocol I can use on the Motoman. My goal is to make the Motoman as "dumb" as possible and control everything from the PLC. Can anyone tell me what protocol I can use with the Motoman, details below: Robot Type: EPL80Controller Type: NX100Software Version: NS4.02 A(JP/US)-00

A quick google search will help you there. According to this document, it supports DeviceNet Master/Slave, AB RIO, Profibus, Interbus-S, M-Net, CC Link and EtherNet IP/Slave. You'll need to find the correct documentation to find out how to implement said protocols. If you want to use the existing cabling, you'll also need to find out which protocol is currently in use.

Thanks! In chatting with their tech support, the NX100 controller cannot be fully controlled from a PLC. You only get basic commands such as, Robot Active, Alarms, Faults, Warnings, Resets, etc... In order to get full control and make the Motoman a 100% slave, it needs to have the DX100 or DX200 controller installed. Thanks for your help and I hope this post helps someone else out in the future!